Spiral Blades

jamminjack

Well I finally decided to try the spiral blades out.   I had ordered 3 doz from FD a while back.  #1  #2  #3.   They have been

sitting on my saw table for a couple of months.  Yesterday was the day... I was out in the shop and decided to give them

a whirl....  It is definitely learning curve...  But after a little while I started to get the hang of it.  I have a project that I am working

on which has quite a few really zig zag vein cuts  in it..  I was quite surprised how the blade worked so well.  It kind of feels like I

cheated if you know what I mean.   I feel like they definitely have a place in some pieces, however I am still not convenienced

that I would use them all the time.  (my personal opinion)  Some people swear by them,  and some people swear at them...

I just swear.... Any how, for all you more experienced spiral blade users,  a few questions.. Is there a right or wrong way to install

the blade? top or bottom?  and I am assuming  (bad thing to do)  that the number 1 is the heaviest of the blades and 3 is the

smallest? or visa versa?  Well thats my two cents worth,  I am interested in what you all have to say....

Thanks and have a great day..

Been using both spiral and flat blades all the time.  Depends on what I am cutting.  Flat blades, spiral and riding the bike all have a learning curve.  I can mess up with either blade and would probably still fall over if I got on the bike.  The earlier spiral blades could make you swear and stomp the floor but better design, better cutting.   Not adding my two cents because I am saving for more blades. :)

Larry

Edited by JustLarry

Bigger number bigger blade ,chart ,ws posted some time ago ,as with all blades points face down ,bottom load -top loading will be personal choice .fret work I bottom load ,too many holes to have to keep using both hands under the table ,plus I can see what is going on ,spirals will teach you about how much pressure and speed you can get away with go slow atfirst and let saw dust clear proceeding .do that and you will love them speed will increase as you get used to them .Carl

The Flying Dutchman 3/0 New Spiral blade size is the thinnest spiral blade.  It is an awesome blade for doing portrait work.  To tell which way is up. and like all blades there is a top and bottom, slide the blade between your thumb and forefinger. If it feels smooth the bottom of the blade it the end you are sliding towards.  If you feel the teeth, it feels rough, the bottom is the end you are sliding away from.  That points the teeth down and I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

I use spiral most the time and the 3/0 most of that time.  But, I am starting to branch out and trying some other things and I'm finding I want to re-learn flat blades.  Much as I hate the turning of the project in all directions as I but, I cannot get as smooth a cut and have a sharp corners with a spiral as I can with a flat blade.  I just finished cutting the parts for a box I am making.  I had to cut out the fret work with a spiral them go back and where I wanted, make the sharp and pointed corners with a flat blade.  Took a long time. I just did not trust my ability to  cut with a flat blade to do it all with one.  So yes, they are another tool in the box to be used where they do best.

Been using both spiral and flat blades all the time.  Depends on what I am cutting.  Flat blades, spiral and riding the bike all have a learning curve.  I can mess up with either blade and would probably still fall over if I got on the bike.  The earlier spiral blades could make you swear and stomp the floor but better design, better cutting.   Not adding my two cents because I am saving for more blades. :)

Larry

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the comment.  I see that FD now advertises the "new Spiral"  I am not sure if those are the ones I got.  I will pay better attention when I re order. As I stated I have never used these

blades before, so I will have to put some time in.

Bigger number bigger blade ,chart ,ws posted some time ago ,as with all blades points face down ,bottom load -top loading will be personal choice .fret work I bottom load ,too many holes to have to keep using both hands under the table ,plus I can see what is going on ,spirals will teach you about how much pressure and speed you can get away with go slow atfirst and let saw dust clear proceeding .do that and you will love them speed will increase as you get used to them .Carl

Hey carl,  thanks for the input.

I am not worried about speed.  I try never to be in a hurry.  I did notice when I was cutting the cuts are definitely not clean.  A lot of fuzz.  That made me wonder if I perhaps had the blade in upside down? 

The Flying Dutchman 3/0 New Spiral blade size is the thinnest spiral blade.  It is an awesome blade for doing portrait work.  To tell which way is up. and like all blades there is a top and bottom, slide the blade between your thumb and forefinger. If it feels smooth the bottom of the blade it the end you are sliding towards.  If you feel the teeth, it feels rough, the bottom is the end you are sliding away from.  That points the teeth down and I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

I use spiral most the time and the 3/0 most of that time.  But, I am starting to branch out and trying some other things and I'm finding I want to re-learn flat blades.  Much as I hate the turning of the project in all directions as I but, I cannot get as smooth a cut and have a sharp corners with a spiral as I can with a flat blade.  I just finished cutting the parts for a box I am making.  I had to cut out the fret work with a spiral them go back and where I wanted, make the sharp and pointed corners with a flat blade.  Took a long time. I just did not trust my ability to  cut with a flat blade to do it all with one.  So yes, they are another tool in the box to be used where they do best.

Paul read my mind.....I am using flat and new spiral blades both, but my go to blade is the 3/0 new spiral...right now i am more relaxed using that blade..to each his or her own.....SCROLL ON!!!

Hey there Scrappile, thanks for the input.

On flat blades I check sliding the blade against my thumb nail for top or bottom.  With the spiral blade it seemed to grab either way.  So I wasn't sure if there was another way to check the blade.

I think I could like using them, however it just feels like I am cheating.....  I mostly use a 2/0 straight blade for a lot fret work.  I learned moving the piece in all directions, and getting sharp corners.

However I have never worked on portrait pieces and could see what a advantage the spiral blade would be.  

I am going to invest time and give the blades their due. 

Thanks again

The FD new Spiral blade has teeth on both sides of the blade before it is twisted. The old style only has teeth on one side of the blade. I use both styles and flat blades. Each has it's pros and cons. Try different styles and sizes and keep what works best for you.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

nope you get a lot of fuzzies no matter what , i tried the 3/0 very thin easy to break , i use the #3 more heavyer blade i want to try the #1 s  i am also learning the spiral blade done some portrite work and some vaining infact i just did a phone foot from steve good blog just for kicks used the

Thanks for your input John,  I haven't tried the 3/0 blade yet I will have to give it a try.  Those fuzzies drive me crazy...I like to see a clean cut, it is just what I am use to I guess. So what you are saying is that you will get fuzzies no matter what?  I don;t know If I could get use to that.

The FD new Spiral blade has teeth on both sides of the blade before it is twisted. The old style only has teeth on one side of the blade. I use both styles and flat blades. Each has it's pros and cons. Try different styles and sizes and keep what works best for you.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

Thanks Fredfret.  I will keep that in mind.