Spiral Blade Question

Good Day Folks!

I decided to give these spiral blades a try, but I am not sure which ones to order.  The question I have is, I am using DeWalt 788, and do I need to buy the "flat-end" type, or can I buy the new FD spiral blades.  I only use FD blades, do all the spiral blades have flat ends?

Thank You in Advance for your Guidance,

-Steven

Steven,

I use the new spiral.  The ends have a slight twist to them so I place the ends on a piece of metal and lightly tap them flat with a small hammer.  Still have a few flat end spirals.  Both the new spiral and flat end spirals have the same ends with slight twist.  The new spiral has more cutting teeth than the flat end.  Picture of spiral blade on Mike's page shows the spiral is full spiral from end to end.  The new spiral, I believe, is the latest design to spiral blades not that they have just come out with them.  Found post today on another site from Oct 2010 about the new spiral.

larry

Edited by JustLarry

My method on clamping the spiral, on my saw and I think it would work just as well on the DeWalt.  I had a DeWalt, but didn't know about spiral when I had it.  Anyway. I lightly clamp it where I want the top of the blade to be in the top clamp.  Then I feed it to the bottom clamp. Insert it in the bottom clamp, loosen the top clamp and tighten the bottom clamp as I hold the blade where I want it.  then I can clamp it in the top clamp after feeding it through the hole.  I do not push the blade all the way to the back of the bottom clamp or it will bend as I tighten it, on my saw.  maybe that is just a quirk of my saw,  I do not clean with MS or lightly sand the ends of the blades.  I have never had a problem with them coming out of the clamps.

In my opinion the answer to your question is NO.  Besides the flat end spirals are not really flat.  They just have less spiral on the ends.

Edited by Scrappile