Coin Cutting

Good Evening Everyone. I hope you all had a blessed palm Sunday :)

I took a stab at cutting my first coin today. post-16528-0-01237900-1427679382_thumb.jpg

Turned out OK but my question for everybody..I broke 6 blades while doing this..is there a trick I'm missing? Tension to high? Corners to tight? Feed to fast? Should I be using a cutting oil of sorts? Any advice would be great. :) Enjoy the rest of your evening.

God Bless,

Robert

Turns that are too fast will over heat the blade tremendously and they will break on the spot every time.Blades should be tight.On the corners try to hollow it out a little before turning that will cut down the friction. i've thought of oil or wax ,maybe even coconut oil but never read anyone using the oils except for manual hand saw cutters.Keep track where you break your blades as that where you need to change what your doing,Slow speed mean less heat build up to.Sometimes i watch the blade go up and down whole cutting critical areas ,that's as slow as you go sometimes. If all you ever cut in coins is these your a master only breaking a few blades(6)   perfect work.You will be the one to watch in metal cutting! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

No way!

Lol..thanks Kevin. I will try to slow them down and more careful in corners...I was spinning them like I do wood.

i did that too I learned real quick what not  to do ,lol Love your work in coin cutting Pennys are real easy try one very soft. i did teresa,in scrypt on one with two places for a chain to connect to it

Wow, that's pretty cool. I have a bunch of foreign coins that are basically worthless that we inherited from my husband's mother, and I bought some Iron Man FD blades on a whim last time I ordered...Might have to give it a try, though I doubt my attempt will look anywhere near as good.

I'm sorry that I can't help you out with any tips on how to cut coins, I've never tried doing that. I find money is hard enough to come by, I'll be darned if I'll start cutting it up.Len

Yeah I feel ya there...I'm not about to start burning Benjamins...but this took that quarter from 25¢ to $25...so. Can't complain bout that.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I have a bunch of foreign coins that are basically worthless that we inherited from my husband's mother, and I bought some Iron Man FD blades on a whim last time I ordered...Might have to give it a try, though I doubt my attempt will look anywhere near as good.

I was actually very surprised at how easy it cut...with the exception of blades breaking so much...you should give it a try ;)

I like your cuttings and the information here.

Thanks Larry :)

Definitely use metal cutting blades. I got mine from Sloanswoodshop.com. They are not expensive. Some say you can use regular skip tooth blades, but don't believe it. 

You NEED a coin holding jig. I made one and it works perfectly. 

Cut a wood block about 3"x3" out of pine, poplar or whatever. Use a forstner bit about the diameter of the coin (a tiny bit larger is OK but not smaller). Drill down the center of block no more than 1/8". Then use another slightly smaller forstner bit centered on the previous cut all the way through the block. You now have a hole thru the block with a shoulder where you will later place the coin. Then drill 2 holes using  a regular drill bit from side to side to accomodate 2 bolts long enough to place nut on each end. DO NOT cut these holes through the forstner bit borings! Now cut the block in half perpendicular to the bolt holes and through the center of the forstner bit holes. Drill a hole in your coin for the blade, place the coin on the 1/8" forstner bit cutting shoulder, insert the bolts and tighten them(butterfly nuts are great). Your coin should be nice and tight and you are ready to go! Use a slower speed and a bit of patience. Check out the "Love Coin" cutting I made in My Gallery.

BTW, US coin sized forstner bits are available for purchase on the web.

Looks like you got a great start at it.  Something I've wanted to try some day, like so many other things.  What do you hold the coin with while you cut?  I've seen a few homemade jigs for that purpose.

I have seen jigs like what bonacker is talking about...I need to make one..a quarter is just a Tish smaller than an inch. So I just drilled a 1" hole in a piece of 1\8 scrap..tape on bottom and on top.. Worked fairly well.

Definitely use metal cutting blades. I got mine from Sloanswoodshop.com. They are not expensive. Some say you can use regular skip tooth blades, but don't believe it. 

You NEED a coin holding jig. I made one and it works perfectly. 

Cut a wood block about 3"x3" out of pine, poplar or whatever. Use a forstner bit about the diameter of the coin (a tiny bit larger is OK but not smaller). Drill down the center of block no more than 1/8". Then use another slightly smaller forstner bit centered on the previous cut all the way through the block. You now have a hole thru the block with a shoulder where you will later place the coin. Then drill 2 holes using  a regular drill bit from side to side to accomodate 2 bolts long enough to place nut on each end. DO NOT cut these holes through the forstner bit borings! Now cut the block in half perpendicular to the bolt holes and through the center of the forstner bit holes. Drill a hole in your coin for the blade, place the coin on the 1/8" forstner bit cutting shoulder, insert the bolts and tighten them(butterfly nuts are great). Your coin should be nice and tight and you are ready to go! Use a slower speed and a bit of patience. Check out the "Love Coin" cutting I made in My Gallery.

BTW, US coin sized forstner bits are available for purchase on the web.

Thanks.. I will need to make some jigs. Didn't know they made bits in those sizes..good to know thank you!

Simply spray glue the pattern and the coin. Wait a minute and attach. Cut, remove pattern, clean coin with mineral spirits.

Drawing the pattern is quite simple and can be done for any size coin. I did mine for a half dollar. 

If you don't want to make the pattern, there is a great book called "Scrollsawing Coins,Glass, Metals & More" by Dave Freeman that has it.