Switching to plain end blades-troubleshooting

Scrappy

It hasn't even been a week and here I come running for help! So this weekend I attempted to replace the pin end blade with a plain end blade and it was a disaster. My first attempt ended up with the blade flexing in crazy, not safe directions. I have no idea how it didn't snap in half. I fiddled with it again and then when I turned it on it didn't move, at all. I gave up, wanting to get started on my project and went back to the pin end blade and it worked just fine.

Now I know most of you have fancy, way more user-friendly machines than I do, but I was wondering if anyone might know some trick to making the switch between blades. Or is there some common issue that others have dealth with regarding this? Or, as I am afraid, is this the natue of low end machines and the solution is to eventually invest in better equipment?

Thanks for any input!

Amanda

Did the blade come loose or did it slip in the holder.. if either of these happened get some lock seize from a hardware store and put some on the holding screws . A tube cost about $4 and will be enough to last a life time. It worked for me.

IKE 

I hope you don't have a harbor freight machine ,thee worst!

It's an old Ryobi that's on loan to me for a few months.

Ducky I will take a look tonight and see if the length was the issue.

Ike I don't think it was slipping, but I will play with it some more and see if I missed something.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

For a lot of years, I have,(and like) this cheap saw. It is sold under a few different names, but they look identical. Got mine from Menards for $70, but right now their web site indicates the don's sell it. You can buy this one from Lowes for $120.

http://www.toolbarn.com/skil-3335-07.html?gclid=CMXM0cKt0MQCFQgtaQod8YkABg

I use only plain end blades. Have a long, narrow vice grip that use for installing the bottom of the blade. Leave 1/4" of blade extending below the vice grip. Clamp it while pointing the top of the blade pointed at the top clamp. Never have a problem. I am a bottom feeder.

Hope this helps.

jerry