Pine and Cedar Salad Bowl

DWSUDEKUM

This is so outstanding you made me bite my teeth!What a bowl of all bowl's! My hat is off to you!!!This is made the same way all your other bowls are made ?

Yes... cut the ring at the correct angle and carefully glue them together.  It really is not too difficult to get good results just some time and practice.

DW

Very well done, DW.  I do not understand how you figure the angle.  How critical is it to have a certain angle?  You certainly have it all figured out. 

Paul the angle you cut is very critical to the success of the bowl.  Cut the angle too shallow or too steep and you get a ton of sanding or the rings will not sit on each other.  There is a mathematical relationship between the thickness of the board and the thickness you are going to cut the ring.  I could explain it however there is a MUCH simpler way.  Dave VanEss has a website http://www.scrollmania.com/AngleCalc.html   All you have to do is put the thickness of the board and the width of the ring and click on the solve button next to the angle and it will give you the angle you need to set your table to.  I use one of those electronic angle measurers to ensure that my table is set at the right angle.  There is a great book out by Carole Rothman called Wooden Bowls by the Scrollsaw - http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Bowls-Scroll-Easy---Make/dp/1565234332/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427822420&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=wooden+bowls+by+the+scrollsaw  It is well worth having in your library especially if you are thinking about making these type of bowls.  She goes into great detail on how to make them.  There are project that are very simple to ones that you better understand what you are doing.

DW