Saw Mill Lumber

ike

I just got back from the local Saw Mill with a pretty good load in my Truck by the time I got rid of the trash I ended up with about 100 ft of Maple. the thickness was between 3/4 and 1 1/4 This  is green so It will have to be dried out . It probably won't be ready till next spring. I also got 16 ft. of Walnut 5/8 thick X 8 in. this is ready to be planed. I have some walnut and cherry that is left from what I got last year It. s ready to plain, With Saw Mill lumber yu need to get it one year in advance

Kevin these alr all scrap from the Mill it's the end pieces that are under 6 ' in length any long pieces are less than 1 in thick there not many pieces like that. but a 4 ' is ni;ce for me because they are easy to store. and they are FREE

Edited by ike

• 1 month later...

I too am lucky to have a fantastic sawmill wood supplier. The guy I get it from manufacters tongue-in-groove hardwood floors. He has only hard wood... Walnut, maple, oak and birch. All of his wood is kiln dried even before he gets it. Each board can be anywhere between 4 1/2" and 8 or 9 inches wide and most are at least 8 1/2 feet long. Thickness is anywhere between 1" to 1 /2". My jointer and planer make easy work of milling the boards down to the desired size. I've never learned what a "board foot" is and so I can't tell you what I pay for one. On my last visit I told him to give me $100 worth of oak and $100 worth of birch. I came home with a truck load. I did an approximate tally and if it were bought already milled from a big box store the price would be well over $1,000 bucks. It is more than worth the extra work and time it takes to mill it! I am truly blesses by the lumber gods!

Bobby

I have a mill/ Kiln drier near me. I buy what they call Kiln samples. They are used to check moisture content during the drying process. They range from 4-12 inches width and 3-4ft long all are 5/4 and cost me .75 cents each regardless of species. I have picke up some reall great deals on Walnut, Cherry, Oak, Poplar, Beech, Ash and Maple before. As said before the time it takes to resaw and mill is well worth the effort.

I too am lucky to have a fantastic sawmill wood supplier. The guy I get it from manufacters tongue-in-groove hardwood floors. He has only hard wood... Walnut, maple, oak and birch. All of his wood is kiln dried even before he gets it. Each board can be anywhere between 4 1/2" and 8 or 9 inches wide and most are at least 8 1/2 feet long. Thickness is anywhere between 1" to 1 /2". My jointer and planer make easy work of milling the boards down to the desired size. I've never learned what a "board foot" is and so I can't tell you what I pay for one. On my last visit I told him to give me $100 worth of oak and $100 worth of birch. I came home with a truck load. I did an approximate tally and if it were bought already milled from a big box store the price would be well over $1,000 bucks. It is more than worth the extra work and time it takes to mill it! I am truly blesses by the lumber gods!

Bobby

Bobby, a board foot is a piece of lumber that measures, 12"x 12"x 1", it can be either one piece or, a few pieces that add up to 12".

Len