What is it?

GrampaJim

Every time I cut oak on my saw I get black smudges next to the cut line.  They come off with a fair amount of sanding, but are a pain,  Other light colored woods like aspen don't have this problem.    The pictures make it look like it is part of the grain, but it is not.  Any advice would be most helpful.

Jim

post-23508-0-56702300-1428184460_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-09603700-1428184461_thumb.jpg

My first thought before looking was blade size and speed but it does not look that there is burning on the edge cut. I have had Oak with the black strick in it like that but was part of the wood and grain not sure if environment cause or not but yes it will go down a ways. Having said that I notice this before I cut and of course stays there. I also see this more if the wood is older or moist place or cold weather.

MY GUESS and it is a guess! Might be a track from aluminum from either table, or down-clamp!

If they are aluminum try to wax the heck out of both! I had a Dremel with an aluminum table that would leave black marks on some wood if I did not keep it very well waxed.

There is a cover available that is Teflon-- self adhesive and cut-able to shape. I think I even had a pop-up ad for it on this site.

MY GUESS and it is a guess! Might be a track from aluminum from either table, or down-clamp!If they are aluminum try to wax the heck out of both! I had a Dremel with an aluminum table that would leave black marks on some wood if I did not keep it very well waxed.There is a cover available that is Teflon-- self adhesive and cut-able to shape. I think I even had a pop-up ad for it on this site.

My feeling is track from an aluminum table also. Waxing the table should help.

Oak has tannin in the dark striations of the grain, when you heat it such as cutting it with a slightly duller blade the tannin will come to the surface.  This is especially true as the wood has higher moisture content.  Notice that it only happened close to the cut and only at the dark striations of the grain.  Sharp blades, use blue tape / packing tape for the lube properties and you should not have the problem.

DW

This might not be the exact same but I was doing a lot of oak cuttings and I was getting a buildup of black stuff on the bottom of my wood along the cut lines and it was a pain to sand off.

t took me a bit to figure it out but I did. I tried different painters tape and spray glue but it was the packaging tape that i was using, as soon as I changed the type of tape it went away. I never did go back to that tape on other woods but I know I have not had it since I changed tape.

It might be something to consider trying. :)

Kurt