Ebay Seller

Travis

If you look through his ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Black-Jax-Custom-Stencilsand go through the categories there are a lot of patterns that I recognise as being in the library and I think from other forums as well. I agree that the library should be only available to members with a certain number of posts, maybe 10, 15 or more. Maybe pattern central could be made private as well, I don't know the answer to this problem, just offering suggestions to combat it, It would not be a good thing if this behaviour made the pattern makers stop doing what they do on here, I for one appreciate all the time and effort they put in.

happy scrolling

Steve

Lock the library to members only, that will work but it is kind of locking the barn after the horses got out.  Anyway of having 2 libraries?  One with a limited number of " starter " patterns available and the main one available only after the required posts have been made?  Just wondering...

DW

All of those ideas are just like giving everyone a key to the store.  Not gonna work.  It will keep the honest, honest.  This, Dave baker Blackjax camo and lives in Cambridge, Lowa, is not gonna care.  He has already made an account here probably.  Ebay and trash him.  Leave neg feedback.  Go to as many other forums as possible and tell everyone what a thief Black Jax Stencils is.  Go to airbrush forums and trash his business practices.  Explain on Pintrest where he gets his patterns.  Explain on Facebook how he finds his images.  Explain on art sites how they had better beware of Black Jax Stencils for stealing the artwork on that site, etc.  When you google his name in six months it will show what a thief this guy is. 

I don't see asking him to pull your work is going to help.  The guy is an A$$, he only plays one way.  I'm gonna ask him nicely to pull my stuff.  If he doesn't then i am not messing with him.  Simple.

Russell

I was hoping to tag this post with his company name, but don't see a way.  All my new patterns will be tagged to reflect my feelings about this.

I registered a complaint with eBay so they'll need access to the pictures.  But I think I'll lock down the Pattern Library in a week or so.  I won't put any post restrictions on the access the library.  But locking the library will keep people from doing a Google Image Search and stealing patterns that way.  Plus, anybody who wants a pattern will have to agree with the Terms Of Service before accessing the library.

It won't stop people from stealing patterns, but it may deter some if they have to jump through a bunch of hoops first.

This guy is a jerk and I'm done dealing with him.  I don't have a legal department to pursue this.  Hopefully, he didn't steal from Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts forum.  I know for a fact they have a legal department.

This is there copyright protection of are patterns

Yes both from the US and International.  Paul you do have to remember though that this area of law is very convoluted and is not straight forward and clear.  There are attorneys that make a living doing nothing but copyright law it is that confusing.  Go to http://copyright.gov/ for the copyright law in the US.  The basic problem with copyright law is that it was written originally long before there was things like electronic files and computers and file sharing.  Coverage for these things and the rest were shoehorned into the older law and some of the language is confusing ( ahhh... most of it )  However long story short - Title 17 US code is the relevant section for copyright.

DW 

Hopefully, he didn't steal from Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts forum.  I know for a fact they have a legal department.

Travis, I'd like to change a bit the wording of this statement of yours. The way I see it is; "Hopefully, he DID steal from SSW&C forum simply because they do have a legal dept, and may possibly go after this jerk.

Len

Here is the first reply I got from my complaint to e-Bay.

I hope Paul, Travis, Charles Dearing and a few others fill out the form and hamper this guys business on e-bay.

To fill out an NOCI, please go to the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com/vero/notice.html

On that page, please click on the link for "Notice of Claimed Infringement" within the first paragraph. This will take you to the DocuSign process, which will allow you to fill out and sign an NOCI electronically after you authenticate your email address.

If you need any help filling out the form, you are more than welcome to contact us by phone at 1-866-322-9106.

If you are reporting work that was copied from someone else, they would need to fill out the NOCI form in order to report the listings to us. They could also authorize you to report on their behalf, but in that case you would need to provide us with the NOCI form and a signed letter of authorization from the rights owner.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you for contacting the VeRO Program.

Sincerely,

Alexis V.
eBay VeRO Team

I was under the impression that the library was already locked to all but members, so as far as I am concerned LOCK IT.  It's not just past patterns that are in danger of being stolen it is future patterns also, which means pattern makers would be less likely to offer any more of their hard work up for free, or at all.

Marg

Hey yall, i contacted the seller last night, and i just sent ebay an email.... its copyright@ebay.com  I have a few patterns here, used to be under the name cjwoodcrafts.. i was notified about the ebay seller in one of the fb groups i joined i looked and voila there were patterns that i made and knew the other patterns came from here too. Travis, Thanks for posting this, and giving links to report,     yall have a great day, and lets try to stop this dude on ebay, email or call ebay.... 

Jim G.

Does anybody know yet what sites this Dave Baker has joined to gain access to these patterns?

I received another e-mail from e-Bay and they want me to fill out another VERO form with info about

what type of copyright infringement is involved, i.e. Software offfered for sale, Counterfeit items, e0bay olisting contains unlawful

copy of copyrighted image, etc.

I replied that I already filled out the necessary form, explained the complaint to e-Bay, and they are making it more

difficult for the copyright holder than they are for their dishonest seller !!

Now I just want to expose this guy to anyone he has contact with.

God Bless! Spirithorse