Which blade?

OCtoolguy

I know that this subject has been discussed ad infinitum but I don't have enough life left to search out all the postings so I'll just ask it again.

With all the brand and blade type choices that we have, how does a newbie like me know what blade to choose for which project? I'm not so much interested in which brand but which blade design and tooth count/pattern.  

Ray

In My Humble Opinion, no two answers will be alike.

I go mostly by width and thickness..IE: .026 x .011 

I do believe that I could buy nothing but a selection of .026 x .011 blades and I could cut any pattern with them.

There are a variety of these .026 x .011 blades, reverse teeth, skip tooth and a variety of teeth per inch.

I use .022 x .008,   to  .034 x .015

Blades # 2, 3, 4, 5's each come in different width and thickness

I suggest you get a couple blades in the .026 x .011  ... one .024 x .011    one .029 x .0??  and one .032 x .0??

Ray, I teach scroll saw at Woodcraft in Ventura, Ca. I start my begginer students off with Olson #5 skip tooth blades cutting 3/4" pine. This is a good overall blade to learn on. It will cut nicely on 3/4" soft woods and 1/2" hardwoods as well as 1/2" to 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.

We then progress to a reverse tooth blade. This blade is just like a skip tooth blade but the last few teeth pointing up. This helps to clean up the bottom of the board, but requires a little more effort too hold the board to the table as the bottom teeth want to pull the board up off the table.

My recommendation to you is to start with a skip tooth blade in sizes of 2, 5 and 7 of whatever brand you choose.

Stay away from the blades you find at the big box stores as they are crapp and over priced.

I use both Olsen blades and Flying Dutchman blades. The blades I use the most are Flying Dutchman FD UR in sizes 1, 3, 5 and 7, and Olson Reverse Tooth blades in sizes 2/0, 2, 5 and 7.

Edited by dgman

LOL< i cut for years with big box blades  in 3/4" plywood exclusively.My work horse blade in their assortment pack was the .016 blade. Then i moved up to "Flying Dutchman" blades and i use scroll reverse #5 #7and #9 mostly in cutting the 3/4" plywood for years now.I  use these as there's minimal sanding top and bottom!

Thanks to everybody. I will put together an assortment of those types of blades that you all mentioned. I am a bit confused though by the comments that go by thousandths of an inch. I don't recall seeing them sized that way but I wasn't looking either. I took a class on marquetry and the instructor had us all using 2/0 blades that he gets from an outfit by the name of Otto Frei. So, I bought a gross of those blades and a dozen #68 drill bits. But, before I get into doing more marquetry, I wanted to learn to use my saw on some scrap woods so I bought a few different Olson blades. I have quite a good selection but I haven't started actually changing them out yet.

Ray

My favorite for pictures is the Flying Dutchman 3/0 New Spiral.  I like the Flying Dutchman blades.  Can't say they are the best, I have not tried many other brands because best or not, Mike's workshop gave me the most help and very best service.  It still does even though it is not really Mike's anymore.