More blade problems and praise for Mike's Workshop

Ok, I screwed up again. It seems I never learn. And I preach to my kids about making the same mistakes over and over. I don't have a credit card. What I do have is a Green Dot pre-pay card. There wasn't enough money on there to order blades I needed. I did however have some money in my PayPal account. And I didn't have the cash to go put money on my Green Dot either. Well, Mike, over at Mike's Workshop, doesn't offer PayPal payments. So, I went with another company (YES, I'm kicking myself now). Anyway, I order six dozen #9 blades. When ordering, I put in the part number (I guess that's what it's called) for six dozen #9 blades. In the notes to the seller section on my PayPal payment page (to be sure), I even made a notation, "SIX DOZEN #9 FD 2-WAY CUT BLADES". Oh boy, this is a disaster.

Unlike Mike's Workshop, it took a week and one day for those blades to get here. I was needing them badly. Then they finally arrived. I opened the envelope and laid the six seperate packages on the table. WAIT! Something doesn't exactly look right. Why are some of these #9 blades smaller than others? To answer my own question. I was sent a dozen #9, a dozen #7, a dozen #5 a dozen #3, a dozen #1 and a dozen #2/0 FD 2-Way cut blades. How does my simple instructions, as I stated earlier, turn into a variety pack of blades, I'll never know. Now, I know mistakes happen, but I don't see how when I entered THEIR part number for exactly what I wanted AND made a notation on the payment of what I wanted. WAIT! The problem doesn't end there.

I decided that since it was my screwup (for not ordering from Mike), I'd chalk it up and make do with what I had. So, I chucked a #9 in my saw to start cutting detail pieces for my current project. After going through a half dozen of the ONLY dozen #9s I have now, the best blade of the bunch has lasted about thirty seconds in 1/8 cottonwood stacked two high.

CONCLUSION:

I swapped over to my spirals (that I bought from Mike) and cut the rest of the head detail. After cutting all day, I've used only two of those. I don't care of that other company does send me a "free pattern with every order", I'll NEVER (repeat NEVER) order from anyone else except Mike's Workshop. He has the best blades out there. Everytime I mess up and order blades from anywhere else, I get CRAP.

Thanks Mike, and I'm sorry I ordered from someone else. I guarantee it won't happen again. Money is tight right now, but as soon as I can I'll order some blades from you to replace these pieces of crap I got from that other company.

I understand your reason for not using PayPal. I wish sometimes there was a better option for me. At this point in time though, no more than I sell on the internet, it's just the best option for me. Unfortunately though, my problem is when I do sell something, the money goes to my PayPal account. I can have it transfered to my bank. That sometimes takes a coupleof days though, especially if its a weekend. So, with it tied up at PayPal, it's hard to do anything with it. Short of Ebay, there really isn't much business I do that I use PayPal on.

Then there's green dot. Don't get me wrong. Its been a blessing for me. I have no desire for a regular credit card. I cut one up fifteen years ago and haven't had a credit card since. So, green dot allows me to buy on the internet at places like Mike's Workshop without actually carrying a line of credit. The problem though comes in when there is no money on my card. That means I have to drive to the closest store that does reloads and add money to it. For me, that's about seven miles away. On days when I'm hurting, like the day I ordered those blades, it's hard for me to climb up into my truck, much less drive seven miles.

Anyway, for now on, I'll wait until I do have the money on my Green Dot card and order from Mike.

None of my biz, but if you have a checking acct., just get a debit card. No fees, or re-loading hassles. Use it just like a credit card anyplace.

Paul

I have a debit card. While I do trust Mike, at Mike's Workshop, I don't trust the internet in general. I have a major hangup about giving out my debit card number over the internet. I've had the same account number with the same bank for many years. I know all my numbers by heart. I'd hate to have some type of virus on my computer, have account problems, and then have to go through the hassle of changing all that. That is actually the great thing about green dot. I only load what moneys I need on there. By the time I pay my bills, which are all paid online these days, there's never no more than a few bucks on there. So, if by some way someone got the info and stole my money, they wouldn't get much. Then I could just get another card and start fresh. No big deal. This whole problem was my own fault. Before I put money on my account each month, I usually check my blade supply to see if I need to load extra money on the card to buy blades. I failed to do so this time. My memory isn't what it used to be. My wife is going to help me in the futue to remember to check my blade supply before I add bill money each month. That way, I can order from Mike.

The only catch is, money is also tight lately. Take this month for example. I still need blades. The budget didn't allow for it though. So, I have to deal with what I got till next month. It's OK though. I still have about nine dozen spirals I got from Mike. Because of the great quality he provides, those ought to last me untill next month. I may have to order some flats and spirals after doing all this, but I'm sure Mike won't mind that either.

Thanks for the advice. I got the problem worked out though for future reference. For me, the moral of this whole mess is to not order blades from anyone except Mike's Workshop. I should have known that anyway. From my experience, he provides the best blades I've ever used. He's reasonable on his prices. He's quick on shipping. Mike is my one and only blade provider from here on out. I don't care what the circumstances are.

As for PayPal, I think I need to find a better way to get my money transfered when people order my stuff online.

This is along the same lines as a debit card, but Paypal offers a debit card as well. So if you do a fair amount of paypal transactions, it's not a bad way to get easy access to your paypal money. You can get money from any ATM, or use it just like any other credit card (Mastercard). The problem is, Paypal is linked into your bank account. So if the numbers do fall in the wrong hands, you'd have the same problems as any other debit/credit card.