Jig Saw Puzzle

dgman

Fresh off the saw today. Jig Saw Puzzle of Dale Earnhardt Jr. taken from a 2014 calender. 1/4" Baltic birch plywood measuring 9 1/2" X 10 1/2" and cut with an Olson 2/0 skip tooth blade. 177 pieces.

For those of you who don't know him, he is the most popular driver in NASCAR today. NASCAR is the biggest and best form of stock car racing in the USA.

JR. won today's race in Taledaga, Alabama!

post-23695-0-92012100-1430709741_thumb.jpg

post-23695-0-19372600-1430709762_thumb.jpg

Very nice job. Ever try FD Puzzle blades? I bought some and they work great.

I use both FD and Olson blades for different applications.

FD Puzzle blades are basically a 3/0 skip tooth blade. I have had no luck with FD blades smaller than #1. So for jig saw puzzles I'll stick with the Olson 2/0 blades.

I've noticed that the pieces on the left start off large then get smaller as it goes across to the right is this intentional or is it done freehand. Very nice puzzle

Yes it's done freehand, and no, it's not intentional. I am left handed so I started with the right side. I realized that maybe the first pieces might be a tad small. So I started cutting them a little larger as I went along.

P.S. I have never used a pattern for Jig Saw puzzles. Most puzzle patterns I have seen have pieces that are too big and too symmetrical. Plus I don't have to glue a pattern onto a scrap then tape it together. It saves time and wood, and I think it looks better!

Edited by dgman

Yes it's done freehand, and no, it's not intentional. I am left handed so I started with the right side. I realized that maybe the first pieces might be a tad small. So I started cutting them a little larger as I went along.

P.S. I have never used a pattern for Jig Saw puzzles. Most puzzle patterns I have seen have pieces that are too big and too symmetrical. Plus I don't have to glue a pattern onto a scrap then tape it together. It saves time and wood, and I think it looks better!

I have a problem with this also, except the other direction because I'm right handed.  I have to have a grid to work with or the pieces come out smaller on the left every single time.  I don't care much for the pre-mad patterns either.  I make a grid with roughly the size pieces I want, tape it (It's worth the extra few minutes to me, but to each his own of course), and then tape my whimsicial pieces to that roughly where I want them to be.  It helps me keep the pieces fairly uniform. 

What do you seal your puzzles with?  I've been trying spray polycrilic and I don't like it.  Should I use a brush-on sealer like minwax?

I don't see it as a problem really. It makes it interesting!

I used two coats of Deft gloss spray lacquer. I let it dry for a couple of hours before cutting. Seems to work good, for me at least.

Edited by dgman