Monterey Sunset Layerscape

bonacker

That is a very beautiful piece.  I have never used much stain.  Mind telling what type of stain you use to get such beautiful colors?  Is it wipe on, brush. 

Just curious also, do you have a jig to get such perfect cut circles? 

The more I look at this one the more complex and beautiful it becomes to me.

Thanks you for sharing it.

I used no jigs. Is there a jig for cutting circles on a scroll saw? I haven't seen one. The only tool that I found absolutely necessary was a compass for drawing the arcs for the sunset. Also for drawing the sun. I then cut the sunset arcs on the saw. You have to be careful doing this, but personally I think cutting circles is much easier than trying to cut a straight line. Don't stop when cutting circles or circle arcs. Keep cutting at a consistent speed and stay on your lines. If you stop, it will probably be beyond repair.

I used minwax oil stain for trees, branches and landscape. Wipe on and brush for edges..

The sunset arcs are hand painted with acrylic paint using increasing/decreasing amounts of red and yellow. I needed a gradual transition from the yellow to the red-orange. I succeeded somewhat, but the color transition is not perfect by any means.