Bread Basket II

DWSUDEKUM

Looks nice, how do you find bamboo to cut? Is it hard on blades, and how well does it take a finish?

Len

Len the bamboo is from a box of 10mm flooring that a neighbor gave me after she got done redoing her kitchen floor.  Cutting bamboo is hard on blades luckily this particular pattern is not too rough on the blade.  I cut one of those intersecting word art signs a little while back and had to use several blades to do it.  They dull fairly fast.  As for taking a finish, no problem if you seal the bamboo first.  I generally use tung oil to seal then top coat.

DW 

I'd like to hear some opinions about this.

I don't know about using polyurethane finish on items that come in contact with food. When I made something like this, I used salad bowl finish which is non toxic. General Finishes has one for this specific purpose.

Almost all modern finishes are human safe after they have cured.  You can put butcher block oil on it or tung oil or BLO or even just wax it the choice is yours of course.  You could even use a bees wax with mineral oil finish.  

DW