bad blades

gator

Gator i thought it was just me!.....I thought i was pushing too hard I slowed down the saw and started using a 2/0 if i was cutting anything thicker than 1/4 inch.......I am still not sure if it was the FD blades or me......Have not had the problem  on a regular basis!.....I am still watching!

Funny you should mention this. 

My last order from Teddy Bear the blades just didn;t seem the same.  I thought it was me.    They didn;t seem to cut

like I have been used to.  Do you think that they are the same Flying Dutchman blades we have been getting all these years.

or have they changed and are knock offs.  Interesting.... Mike retires, new company takes over.  Blade problems start.....

I for one will definitely  keep a closer eye on this situation. Gator I am glad you brought this up.  I thought it was just me..

I experienced this yesterday in my shop with FD-UR #5. Some cut like going through butter, others broke as if way over heated. I have ordered from Mike for years and never had a problem. I'm wondering if it is just a bad batch? I'm a die hard FD person so I will also be following this very closely.

I brought that same problem to Mike a while back, been having problems with FD 2/0 and FD #1 blades breaking off when I feed them through the  hole on my fingertips about one inch from the top, and still hasve the same problem, not really sure if its the quality of the blades or not. While at the SSWC  show this year I purchased olson #2/0 just to try them out, and I did and had no problem. And the one thing that ticks me off is when cutting the blades break also. Just my 2 cents.  edward

I have ordered some FD blades. The last I got of Olson's just didn't cut right, The new blades cut like they were dull I know they were new I just opened a new batch of 12 and they were the same, so i decided to got to FD. I am talking about flat blades Just to let you know it's not just F D blades, I figured that Olson got some bad steel. I didn't buy these blades from The Wooden teddy bear I bought them from Wood crafts. store.

Edited by ike

Good Day Folks!

I just put in the order below a few weeks ago, and I am not having any issues with them.

Flying Dutchman - Spiral Flat/End Scrollsaw Blades - FD-SP-FE No. 5

Flying Dutchman - Spiral Flat/End Scrollsaw Blades - FD-SP-FE No. 3

Flying Dutchman - Ultra Reverse - FD-UR No. 5

Flying Dutchman - New Spiral -FD-NS No. 3/0

-Steven

Wow I'm new to the world so I thought it was me. I've only been scrolling for about 5 weeks, but yesterday I opened a new shipment of fd ur #5 and broke around 8 of them when I hadn't broken a single one from my first shipment. Happy to see its not me. I had a couple of them left from my first shipment and went back to that and I was fine

Edited by Klatimer

I hate to complain in resturants and definetly don't want to start with blades .I give and take not everything is as it's suposed to be it happens.At 30 cents a blade i'll eat it and have a good face with the supplyer.All my years with mike theres been a couple that maybe missed the heat treating,no biggy!

Because of hand tremors, (a fancy way to say that my hands shake,) I rarely use anything but FD UR # 5. Most of my work is 1/4" solid oak & BB ply. From what I am reading on this, and other sites, I think that most of the time you folks could get by very nicely with # 5s. I assume that because of the extra size, you would have less breakage. I break about TWO BLADES A YEAR, but our garage is not heated, so the saw collects dust in the Iowa winter.

jerry

I would let the supplier know so they can check it out.  If they are getting bad blades produced for them and they are not aware of them getting to their customers they cannot get the problem corrected.  I do not worry if I get one or two bad ones now and them but if I get a doz or so I will let them know.

I would think they would be happy to make it right.

Larry

It's all down to the raw material and where it comes from mainly Russia and who does the heat treatment, you get bad batches in all metals.

1. who's making them

2. have they just made the man redundant

3. did the man leave

4. is the guy doing it now from McDONALD'S

just as well we fly around in mainly composites now. :lol: Roly

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I would not laugh too Hard at the thought of composite blade coming to market ,all a matter of resin costs ,I have personally Injection molded plastic that is harder than ( Ti) titanium ,for bearings in jet engines . That stuff was $ 800.00 # .Just a matter of time and Money ! Supply and demand ,when it is justifiable ,it will show up !

heads up went to mikes site aka teddy bear to get email address to send  them  a email and saw "ORDER NOW PRICE INCREASE JULY" didnt see that coming ? right...........

I just got an order of FD-TC blades from Wooden Teddy Bear DBA Mike's Workshop and they included the new July prices. For the TC (Two-Way Cut) blades I ordered the price will go up 5 cent a dozen from $2.95 a dozen presently to $3.00 as of July 1. Not a huge hike. HOWEVER in comparing further some other blade styles increased in price by 15 cents a dozen or even more

Edited by oneleggimp