Stack Cutting

devsdad98

Hi all,

I have an older pattern that I want to make several copies of for gifts. I have never tried stack cutting before. I started today but I was wondering if any of you out there had any tips or tricks. If so, I would like to know. It is a really nice cross pattern out of one of the older scroll saw mags. Let me know and thanks in advance.

Mark :)

Hey Mark. There are many ways to stack cut and you will probably use a little bit of info from everyone that posts. Here's my thoughts. Whenever I stack cut I always make sure my table is set at exaclty 90 degrees to the blade. The more detail in the cuts the smaller the stack. If I cut portraits from 1/8" stock, I will only stack 4 or 5 depending on how much detail. Always cut the interior cuts first (yeah, this is from experience). I use clear packing tape over the project to reduce burning. Bright lights, a drink, and good music make things much better, also.

Have fun and post some pics. :D

Here's a nice little article in the Wiki that should help. When I stack cut, I use blue painters tape around the entire stack and get it as tight as possible. Then I put a couple of finishing nails in the waste area in two spots. This keeps the wood from shifting while cutting. I usually don't like my stacks larger than .75" because if the blade flexes while you're cutting, the cuts will be different from the top to the bottom. Just take it slow and try not to put too much pressure on the blade and you'll be just fine.

When stack cutting, I use either 5 1/8" material or 3 1/4" material. If the pattern is fairly simple, I fasten the stack with either 5/8 or 3/4" brads in the waste area then cover the stack with blue painters tape to which the pattern is glued then covered with clear packing tape. This makes for easy removal of the pattern when finished. For more complex patterns, the stack is held together with the blue painters tape then finished as before. I sand the finished project by laying it flat on a solid surface and sand with a palm sander making sure to hold the sander square to the project. I have had good luck with this method without breaking the project.

It is also important that your table be square to the blade. I keep a 6" level nearby to periodically check that the table is level from left to right. If your cut pieces will not slip out top or bottom, it means your table is not square.