Newbie From Missouri Needs a few tips!

cdawson41

Okay I tried searching some of the posts on here for answers to my questions........but there are so many LOL. So I'm really new to this just got my scroll saw last night after looking looking and looking some more. I did pretty good with the practice cuts from the Scroll Saw Workbook I got, but have a few questions. Like what speed should I set the blade at, and how do I figure out if I have the proper tension set on my blade. I did notice that it appeared sometimes that my blade was a little bent when I completed a cut though it did go back in place, maybe i was applying to much pressure. I was hesitant to turn too sharp etc when i was trying to make sharp turns but then realized if I view it as similar to my sewing machine it worked much better for me. So any tips on the above would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll see if I can help you a little, as I'm sure others will also. As far as the speed, that depends on size of blade and material. Also, depends on you. I mean, sometimes with the speed of your saw will depend on how much control you have (ie. staying on the lines), I sometimes have trouble keeping my blades on the line I'm cutting and straying offline, so I turn my speed down to help.

As far as tension, I use the "guitar pluck" technique. Tensioning up the blade and plucking the blade and hearing a high pitch. General rule of thumb is this: Your blade shouldn't be so tight you can't have a little movement in it, but not so lose that you don't have the high pitch when you pluck it. Hope this helps you a little, and I'm sure others will chime in on this to help as this community is full of people willing to help.

You should hear a nice high ping sound when you have the right tension. The blade should not move side ways more than 1/8" and that is almost too much. It is better to have good speed, when not enough you have a tendency to push too hard into the blade, that makes the blade cut with a bevel and you micht loose control. Let the blade do the cutting. You can also check this for more tips.

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/Q&A-FP.htm. If you have problems with burning, most people now use the blue painters tape on the wood and glue pattern on top of that. It helps a lot to eliminate burning.

Mike

Spiral blades are fun. I use them all the time. They work especially well with portrait-style cuttings. But I'd encourage you to really learn how to cut with a straight blade. It's much easier to get long sweeping smooth cuts, straight lines, and sharp corners with a straight blade. And with certain projects, controlling the blade is easier.

Here's one thing you can try if you're flexing the blade too much. Every once in awhile, let up the pressure on the workpiece to see if you're putting too much pressure on the blade. You're only there to guide the workpiece, let the blade do the cutting. I'll often release pressure on my project just to be sure I'm not stressing the blade. Flexing the blade can cause problems, especially on stack cutting, puzzles, and other items that require precise cuttings.

Welcome to the hobby. You'll have a great time with it. You'll be amazed what you can do with such a simple tool. Stick with it. Just like anything else, it takes a few projects under your belt before you get the feel for it. When you do, there's no stopping you! ;)

Hi Cynthia, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of my sewing machine when I first started! I had trouble cutting a straight line with the flat blades until Mike (Flying Dutchman Blades) told me about the burr on the backside of the blades that make them cut just slightly off. So now when I sit at my saw instead of looking at it straight on, like my sewing machine, I look at just the slightest angle. I hope that made some sense. Maybe Mike will pop back in and explain it better. Anyway, have fun with the spiral blades, too. I use both depending on what I'm trying to make. Have fun!

Okay, got the spiral blades and I love them! I can see where the flat/regular blades will be handy as well but for starting out the sprials have been a life saver as I tend to be quite critial of myself. I'm trying to send a pic from my phone to my computer so I can post it, really nothing exciting but I did manage to get a cat, a fish and a capital letter A cut out and am relative pleased with them. So now I'm flooding my own brain with what I need to accomplish before Christmas. A set of alphabet letters for my grandson and a set for my nephew's little girl. And I do keep picking up the magazines and reading those, free patterns to boot LOL, and they really get me cranked up about learning more. I feel as giddy as a child in a candy store. And I'll try that looking at an angle instead of straight on, I have realized that I was trying to go to slow which was causing me a problem so I'm moving a bit faster andthat is really helping. But for now I've exceeded my alloted sitting time so I'm off to bed and relax and read the magazine I picked up today. :o

Okay, got the spiral blades and I love them! I can see where the flat/regular blades will be handy as well but for starting out the sprials have been a life saver as I tend to be quite critial of myself. I'm trying to send a pic from my phone to my computer so I can post it, really nothing exciting but I did manage to get a cat, a fish and a capital letter A cut out and am relative pleased with them. So now I'm flooding my own brain with what I need to accomplish before Christmas. A set of alphabet letters for my grandson and a set for my nephew's little girl. And I do keep picking up the magazines and reading those, free patterns to boot LOL, and they really get me cranked up about learning more. I feel as giddy as a child in a candy store. And I'll try that looking at an angle instead of straight on, I have realized that I was trying to go to slow which was causing me a problem so I'm moving a bit faster andthat is really helping. But for now I've exceeded my alloted sitting time so I'm off to bed and relax and read the magazine I picked up today. :o

Welcome to the scrolling world. I am sure you will have hours and hours of fun with your new found hobby. I was never one for using spiral blades. To me they are basically for portraits and things that do not need nice straight lines . I always got jagged edges with them because the blade is always cutting. I would highly suggest to learn to use flat edge blades first. The idea of setting your chair off center is always a good one especially when using flat blades. Spirals it does not matter as much. There are a ton of patterns and ornaments for the holiday season to try. Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your work posted here.

My opinion differs than most I guess. I encourage you to learn to use spirals and flats. Then make up your own mind about what is best for you. When I first started scrolling, I messed up. I watched videos on the internet and tried to do things exactly like everyone else. I soon realized that scrolling is a hobby that you can make your own. What I mean by that is you can learn all the techniques. In the end though, you have to do what feels right to you.

Lot if video tutorials at http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Lots of free patterns at http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

The best blades can be bought at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

Now for myself. I started out running my saw at about half speed until I got used to it. Nowadays, my saw stays on full throttle. I could take off the variable speed knob and be just fine. I used spirals about 90% of the time. The only time I use flats really is for chopping a piece of wood down to workable size or my large projects with nothing but outside cuts. Tension is a tough subject. It's hard to describe. Myself, I say find that "sweet spot". The sweet spot is tight enough to cut straight as you can, but not so tight that the blade breaks. Myself, from talking to others, have found out that I run my blades much tighter than most folks. While some will disagree, I don't think there is no such thing as too tight. The drawback to that is that I do have more problems out of my blade clamps because of me running my blade too tight. I have to keep everything in tip top shape to make the clamps hold without slipping because I have my blade so tight. I have to take the calmps apart overy week or so and clean them.

Anyway, I've only been scrolling for a little over a year, and you can see some of my work in my user gallery or my website. Both are linked to after my post.

I haven't been scrolling very long myself. But I tend to agree with Greasemonkey...........with practice you'll find what works best for you. I use spirals almost exclusively........I absolutely love them. I've not had a problem with jaggy lines with them, but had a heck of a time with the regular blades. I also think it's like using a sewing machine lol.

I do believe you are hooked lolol. I felt exactly the same way when I finally made something other than designer firewood. There is a such a huge variety of things you can do with a scroll saw......it's just almost intoxicating! I can't wait to see your work.........I'm sure you did a great job on your first projects. And just think..........they only get better and better!

Christina

Now I will put in my 2 cents worth. LOL When I started scrolling 5 years ago it was with a sprial blade that came with the saw which was new. I thank back on that and I believe it was a mistake from the factory as the other 2 saws that I have both had the flat blades supplied. Any ways if you will start out with the speed low and just guide the wood or float the wood into the blade your flexing will go away. As for tension if you can move the blade back more than 1/8 inch, thighten it some more. I would start with the flat blades first until you get used to cutting stright lines,circles, curves,etc. than you can go to the sprial blades and see which one you like best. I use one about as much as the other depending on the subject and wood. But by all means have fun with this new "toy" and make lots of sawdust!!

Ervin