Does anyone scroll indoors?

The weather here in the southern U.S. Is now hitting the upper 90's, as usual. The humidity makes working outside at all a permanently wet situation.

Here's my situation: currently my saw, wood, drill (handheld) and random screwdrivers are on my parents back porch. While it is shady all day, it's still quite warm and muggy to work back there.

My sander and Dremel are already at my house ( approx a mile away) and I've been doing much sanding on the back patio in the evening, but like the porch still outside and it's rather warm even before sunset.

We rent a two bedroom duplex from my great aunt and uncle, and we strive to be at least decent tenants. Quiet, not parties, and rarely call for service. The spare bedroom is currently given over to junk that is going to our storage unit a little at a time, in an effort to turn it into a craft room. The spare has a large window like this one

post-25058-0-81647800-1433888180_thumb.jpg

(Also with crappy blinds, but I digress, lol). There is also a ceiling fan.

My question is, is there a way to do my sawing in my spare bedroom and not fill the HVAC system full of sawdust? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lots of vacuum cleaners running and KEPT CLEAN often!

Get ones with cleanable filtration systems!

A furnace filter(AC) on a box fan (can be taped on or screwed into the corners) and changed often will help too.

Some scroll saws have a dust port--sort of works!

The vacuums get full a lot faster than you expect them too. So clean often.

I some areas of the country indoors is a must 8 or more months a year.

Also use a cheap tarp on carpet--it will save a lot of headache & cleaning time.

We all like to see the results too!

Edited by rjR

A few more details I forgot earlier: we have all tile floor so carpet is no issue, and my saw ( a harbor freight) has a dust port and my shop vac is hooked to it ( y'all are right, it does fill up quickly!). I also have a box fan, but it's our white noise for sleeping and my DH works nights, so I'll have to get another. I will definitely post pictures as I get set up, since it seems to vie viable to work indoors. Currently we are still moving junk though!

The weather here in the southern U.S. Is now hitting the upper 90's, as usual. The humidity makes working outside at all a permanently wet situation.

Here's my situation: currently my saw, wood, drill (handheld) and random screwdrivers are on my parents back porch. While it is shady all day, it's still quite warm and muggy to work back there.

My sander and Dremel are already at my house ( approx a mile away) and I've been doing much sanding on the back patio in the evening, but like the porch still outside and it's rather warm even before sunset.

We rent a two bedroom duplex from my great aunt and uncle, and we strive to be at least decent tenants. Quiet, not parties, and rarely call for service. The spare bedroom is currently given over to junk that is going to our storage unit a little at a time, in an effort to turn it into a craft room. The spare has a large window like this one

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My question is, is there a way to do my sawing in my spare bedroom and not fill the HVAC system full of sawdust? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes.... go to Harbor Freight and get one of those image_12006.jpg

This will collect most of the sawdust.  You just need to use it religiously when working indoors.

DW

They have smaller units as well.  I was not sure how big an area was to be covered.  They also carry this one 

image_17645.jpg It's only about as big as a shop vac.  

DW

Actually, not a tiny duplex *grin*. The bedrooms are 10'X10' if I remember right. Something like that. The back bedroom (where I want to do my scrolling is larger [the 10 by 10] Than the room we sleep in [probably 8X10]. Those are obviously guesstimates lol)

So, the larger one emigre actually be better. Thank you! I'lol have to go by harbor freight this weekend and see if my local store has one in stock.

i've sat in front of the central a.c.intake with a pleated paper filter.None of the dust went anywhere in any off the rooms .i did sanding drum sanding of intarsia's which is really dusty.The heavy dust fell to the floor.When i noticed the filter bowing in i would vacuum it and was ready to go again.You could make a box to fit the paper filter and have a squirrel cage to fan suck the dust to it effectively.

Yes Kathy there is a SANTA CLAUS ,He can't do custom jobs because everyone has different limitations ,that HB small unit,

in mho would work well, Your saw has limits as well, space mainly ,I would suggest a Fein style cyclone seporater DIY or a

dust devil (budget issue) ,I have posted many versions and improvements over the last few years up to the present to totally

dust free ,your welcome to use any of the ideas that your abilities allow it is very achievable,takes more time than money .

The simple secret is the ability to put the negative pressure (suction) as close to the saw dust source as possible top and

bottom at the blade mine is in a semi sealed mini manifold on the bottom ,gets about 80% top 19.9% .Good luck have fun enjoy the journey ,the system you choose is based entirely on the results you are happy with. Mine is 4' from this computer,as a

gauge as to how well it works .It's all there in different posts,the major differences are at the saw,and your choices of

of entrance and exits .Sounds like you have the time ,take it and think it thru and you will be very happy with the results.

Later ,Carl

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ido

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I scroll and turn indoors. Use a very old 8 gallon Craftsman wet-n-dry Shop Vacuum. Hooked to a Rockler lathe hood for the lathe and to the dust collector outlet on the scroll saw. It REALLY Does SUCK. :) Dust mask for my lungs.

Edited by oneleggimp