me

ducky

Wowsa Ducky, I'd say your not having a good week also, your very fortunate that it is only the one finger that got cut. It's not a nice feeling, running your finger through the blade. I did it years ago and the Dr wanted to remove part of my thumb, but, I wouldn't agree to letting him do it. Another Dr. said that he could save it, but, didn't know how much use it would be to me. It's fine now, and all you can see of the accident is a small scar. I how you heal up quickly, and that this doesn't discourage you from doing woodwork, take care.

Len

On the brite side you have some pre stained wood.Also you learned a good lesson on saw safety..Always enough  time to do it right but not enough to do it over.Well you have a good reminder now you will never forget.Take care my friend.I caught my finger in my hand held planer ,stopped the motor and not one cut or blood .I never forgot that one when i pick it up.

My eldest, Son, ignored my hand signals when cutting firewood yrs ago and chewed up little and next fingers on left hand ,two weeks later OSHA sent me a letter wanting information and wanted my suggestion on how to eliminate such accidents buy forcing the manufacturer to install additional safeties before they could sell in USA ,I wrote back to back ( large Decal, stating for

complete safety (LEAVE PACKED IN BOX)! Strangely ,I never received any further requests! Sorry to hear of your experience ,I am a full fledged member of the club ,I just chose the thumb,It now sings to me when it gets very cold ! Heal well my friend !

Later Carl

well bugger me i am having one bad week,cut end of my index finger off on the table saw yesterday morning if i carry one like this a+e will be sending a chistmass card this year,cut the bone cut nerve finger like  ho shit this is not good.i cant pick my nose now,,,,,

Yesterday was a Bad day. I managed to have a drill bit slide off a work piece and drill my left hand pretty deep and since I am on Blood Thinners I had a devile of a time stopping it bleeding. NOT A GOOD DAY. On the plus side one f the Public Service officers who came out noticed my workshop and then looked at my pens and bought a Gun Metal Finish Magnum Bolt Action in Mesquite. Other two guys also want one so I'll have to make some more

Table saws always scare me.  We have a Doctor in town who was a surgeon and did wood working.  Took of all four fingers on his right hand on a table saw.  He is not a surgeon anymore, just a general family doctor.

Hope you feel better Ducky.

As they say on TV - let's be careful out there!

Table saws are dangerous. I almost lost a finger. Luckily it hit no bone. The other time I had kickback with a 2 by 4. Hit me in the fleshy part of my abdomen. If I'd been a bit to the right or left, probably would have smashed a hip. Scrolling is a safe way to make nice things. Has anyone ever had an injury from a scroll saw? Eight years scrolling and no blood yet!

Ducky as all my fellow villagers before me stated,  So sorry to here about the accident.. Don't be too hard on yourself... It was a accident.  You definitely didn't plan it.

It just happeneds. That;s why its called accident.   Heal fast, my friend and be thankful, it could have been worse... better days ahead.

Wow, I thought I was the only one here that had lost a finger on a saw. Somewhat comforting, in a maudlin way, to learn that others had made the same mistake. Guess we need to form a fraternity. We could call it KYD (Kappa Psi Delta - Keep Your Digits)! [KYDding intended] Tough lesson to learn respect for equipment. Once burned twice cautious they say. Hoping your hand heals ad nicely as mine did 13 years ago.

Sorry to hear about the MIS adventure! DO not let it bum ya out!

Been REALLY close t that! In 60+ years of working wood with hand and power tolls only to emergency room once! It was my own fault --had had eye surgery should not have been in the shop! SICK OF THE HOUSE--so was. Cut end of my left thumb on the Tablesaw. Needed stitches etc.

9-10 years or so ago now-- gets numb some times only slightly though. About 5 years before that I lost 1/2 fingernail to the outer and did NOT Touch the finger! I am now more careful and let all tools totally stop!

As for getting rid of the saw!!! If your wife had a car accident; would she let you get rid of HER vehicle!!!!!

I think getting rid of the saw is over-reaction!

We learn new safety measures even in our "older"--NOT old age!

Join the club. about 8 years ago i cut my thumb off at the joint.There  was 2 doctors arguing about saving it.One said that they would be taking it off later if they did save it  and the other said that it would probably be stiff.( no joint) so I said that we would just throw the end of it away. It isn't to bad I can still lip a Bass. while I was healing I traced my ancestors I got them back to 1595, couldn't go any further.

• 2 weeks later...

All these stories on this and the other posts make me cringe.  For those missing all or parts of digits the reminder is right in front of you.  For those still having all of their digits Paul AKA Grampa did a pattern a while back

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/uploads/gallery/category_3/med_gallery_1512_3_39367.jpg

and although I changed the words I kept the visual and cut it to place in my shop

post-8034-0-90861200-1434719572_thumb.jpg