Thought I Needed Better

Scrappile

I have an Excalibur 21.  I've had it for about 18 month.  Before it I had a DeWalt.  I feel the Excalibur is an upgrade from the DeWalt, I know, there are people that will argue that, and I admit if you are happy with your DeWalt, there is no reason to upgrade.  I did and I think the Ex is better.  It will not do anything the DeWalt will not do but it does it a little easier and better in my opinion.

Now, after having the Ex for a while I thought if I feel the Ex is better than the DeWalt, what if I went another step up and got a Hegner???  That must be the ultimate, right?  I did it in a moment of weakness.  I have the Ex and a Hegner.  I am a very happy camper, and feel grateful I was able to do it.  However,,, in my opinion, after having the Hegner for a few months, I do not feel it was an upgrade.  The Hegner is a totally different machine and I am not convienced it is the machine to have if you like to to do delicate fret pictures as I like to do.  I can not explain my feelings, I love using the Hegner for lots of things, but when doing a delicate picture like a Charles Dearing "Lion Roar" or a Mike Williams "Moose", I am not sure it would be possible with the Hegner.  I have not been able to use a blade smaller than a #3 on it yet.   Not saying it is impossible just saying I have not succeeded yet.  The Hegner is a work horse, looks like it will be easy to repair, by me, if something does happen to break, and I love using it.   But the Ex is a sweet machine.

Okay, I am not sure why I am writing this.  Just wanted to give my opinion and maybe if some one is contemplating going from an Ex to a Hegner, think it through seriously.  The Ex WILL do everything the Hegner will do, but, I am not sure the Hegner will do everything the Ex will do.  Just saying Hegner is great, but do not ditch the Ex to get it.  I think the Hegner will out last my Ex.  It is solid. but I could have bought two EX's for the price of one Hegner.  I do not have long enough life left to wear out two Ex's and no one in my family is interested in inheriting my scroll saws.

I have owned a Hegner 18v for over 20 plus years and have never had a problem with it, I cut all kinds of Fret work and it cuts fine including intricut cuts. I have never worked on an EX but the reviews are great. At the age of 84 I think the Hegner will outlive me.

Mike

I have owned a Hegner 18v for over 20 plus years and have never had a problem with it, I cut all kinds of Fret work and it cuts fine including intricut cuts. I have never worked on an EX but the reviews are great. At the age of 84 I think the Hegner will outlive me.

Mike

Mike, were I have not suceeded with my Hegner is the small blades like the 3/0 Flying Dutchman Spiral.  This is my favorite blade. I've tried many times, they just snap as soon as I start running the the saw.  I have not given up, but I do not think a saw should be that hard to adjust.