A tip, maybe

heppnerguy

I have fought to obtain the smooth finish on my work but it seemed no matter what I tried I still had problem. I used light coats and several layers but I still do not obtain the results I am after. I bought 350 grit sand paper and I even waxed to try to get what I was after and then one day. I was looking in the auto section of Wal Mart and I saw 500 grit sand paper so I bought some and that worked. It gives me the smooth finish I have been after but does not leave any saw dust on my product when I use it. I also bought some 1000 grit bt found it was too fine and did not work as we'll. if you are having the same problem I was. Give this a try

Dick

heppnerguy

Hey Dick, I use a folded sheet of brown paper from a grocery bag. It works like 600 grit sand paper, does not leave any sandy residue and it's free!

I use to sand down any dust nubs between coats of spray lacquer. After the final coat I use it to even out the finish and to take down the shine as I don't like a high shine on my projects.

I have up to 4000 grit in the shop but I don't sand beyond 320 in woodworking, but I'm pretty careful about starting with a coarse enough grit and carefully working through to the end. I vacuum the work between coats. Often I apply some naptha to help see scratches in the surface. Mineral spirits does the same thing but naptha 'flashes off' faster. Finally, I think you should try sanding between costs of finish.

I use the finer grits for sharpening plane irons, chisels blah blah instead of oil or water stones.

I use 0000 steel wool between coats.  The steel wool will leave behind particles, so I use an air compressor to blow it off.  Just be careful with it getting caught in the fretwork and breaking delicate frets.  I think sandpaper as mentioned would be safer, but this is what I use.