Well Kevin, Here It Is. Your Eagle In Acrylic

bonacker

Paul,

The easiest way to have miscuts using a small blade is to use speed that is too fast. Cut down on speed and follow pattern lines carefully. When you are done, inspect everything with care. You can use a larger blade to smooth out curves and corners. Then use the small blade again to get what you want. Be careful to keep the curves or arcs as consistent in their sweep as you can, especially if curves come together to a point. I can't overemphasize enough how important it is to back into a sharp point or corner (not using the saw edge of the blade) and cleaning up with the saw edge of the blade. You may have to cut into the point again to make it sharp. I hope this helps and was clear in my explanation.

Also, when cutting transparent acrylic, you may see a white sheen on the cut edges. I put the finished piece in warm water for a few minutes and then buffed with a soft cloth. Cleaned it up somewhat. If anybody knows a good way to remove that sheen, I would really like to know how.

Hi bonacker

Thanks for the detailed explanation. From what I understand it seems that you do everything with the saw blade.

Do you use a fine abrasive at all to clean up the edges?

On the sheen on the edge. I have recently seen a video where the guy shaped the edge of a piece of plastic with a router bit. This left the edge looking opaque. He then quickly passed a blow torch across the edge and it turned crystal clear.