need help or tip

pauley555

Well Paul I don't use Birch Ply but then ply is ply....

Any way When drilling for blade insertion the best advise I can give is high speed and slow entry.

Having it splinter while cutting don't have that problem, are you using a reverse tooth blade, if you are only cutting one piece at a time that will cause it to splinter, if so use a trow away piece on the bottom or cut two at a time (stack cutting) Or even three depends on the thickness of the ply.

Hopes that helps Merlin

when drilling birch ply for blade insert, the ply keeps splintering also having this problem when scrolling, any ideas would be of help,thanks in advance,regards paul

Hi Paul.

Dont get yopur ply from stores like B&Q, Homebase etc. Get it from places like alwayshobbies.com in Norfolk. It is 5 ply and good quality.

There are more UK suppliers listed here:-

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/wiki/in ... _suppliers

If it breaks out when drilling (use a 1/16" bit) then place a piece of scrap wood underneath and drill thro' into that.

Cheers

Keith

Maybe I can help some. When you are drilling for the blade inserts do you have a scrape piece of wood underneath your BB? If not it will splenter. It does help to use reverse blades and to stack cut at least 2 thickness. I have cut 6mm or 1/4 inch with just the one piece but had to do it slow.

Ervin

I use 1/8" and 1/4" BB plywood and I use a backer board on all my drilling when it comes to all BB plywood and never had the problem with splentering and cutting at a slower rate may help . I use Flying Duchman blades and I'm no expert when it come to where to buy the plywood . I buy all my BB plywood from Sloan's Woodshop in Tenn . Maybe this will give you some insight on this problem . Scrolling is my passion and after 12 years this is a couple of things that I have learned...hope this helps you ..........Marshall :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with what others have stated. A scrap board underneath what you are drilling, hold pieces down firmly and drill. A good quality reverse tooth blade for cutting and stack cut several at a time or use a through away piece under the ply as to make a thicker cut. I have been at this for about twenty years and am still learning. Hope this helps. Steve

I myself have found a little trick too. when i drill through some wood ,about 3/4 through the piece i pull back out ,touch the drill bit end ever so slight and that cleans out the ferrels?of the drill and i can go right back in and not bust out the bottom.I guess the cut wood has no place to go as they are not the best self cleaning bits for the sizes we use scrolling.I don't go back in the hole like a fox either, slow and easy.I don't have cheap wood to use under my work piece.This has been a blessing for me.It's ruined alot of pieces till i found out another way as explained above.Reminds me of my vegetable juicer which is a masicating one .forces the pulp in a corner, tightly squeezes the juice out through a screen .When the pulp builds up it too is forced out another hole .Probably sounds confuseing but it works.