Dremel warranties

amazingkevin

Howdy scrollers,My new dremil 1830-01 is going to buy the farm.I'm 29 days from the 1 year warranty and it's wore out.Anybody ever return something and has some sharp shooter answers for the company.I complained to the company many times about the saw and they schrugged there shoulders at me as to what the problem might be.It has 10 faults not user friendly.I bore with it but now i can not do detail work .did i violate the warranty by not sending it back ?. It was christmas time then and the wrong time to sent my money maker away.some feedback could be usefull.They said ups will pick it up from my house so thats a plus.

I have a Dremel 1830 scroll saw purchased in August, 2008. On my saw there is a link in the back of the saw that connects the upper and lower arms. The link pivots were shipped with no lubricant on them. I heard about this in January of this year and opened up the halves of my saw and squirted some spray lithium grease on the pivot points. I did this again just recently. The other problem has been the high pitched squeaking from the arm bearings on the sides of the saw. I have been using PB Blaster on these and it cures the squeaking sometimes. The third problem has been the throat plate. It is made of plastic and is recessed below the table surface. I shimmed it up with some tape but the plastic is too flexible and when I have small pieces that don't span the throat plate the pieces bounce up and down on the thin plastic no matter how hard I hold them. If it had an aluminum throat plate this would not be a problem.

On your saw I suspect that due to lack of lubrication (not your fault) on those link pivots in the back of the saw, the link arm has worn out. Dremel should have built in a means to lubricate those pivots easily without taking the saw apart. If you can return the saw do so within the warranty period. Dremel generally has excellent customer service. Be advised that this saw is now out of production so get it fixed before parts are unavailable.

Why thankyou RJA,You know as time went on it was getting profusdly harder and harder to change blades.Shortly before i sent it in ,maybe a couple of weeks ,i told myself ,let's get to the bottom of this and find out once and for all what is going on here .Your exactly right .!The rear pivot points are so worn that the slop makes the blades to long to fit in the blade holders.I mean i can raise and lower the top arm with out a blade in it at least an inch.It should be zero tolarance or next to none right there.Your a good detective and i almost found out to late for the warranty to cover the repair.Thanks for the good insite about dremil.sigh,i am sweatin it .as i don't have cash to back up a repair bill.Wow i feel so much better ,thank you again.When i get it back i'll open it up to look see and fabricate an opening so i can use your litium grease frequintly.I did the same thing with a sewing machine i bought from taiwan.That saved the machine as there were places that needed lube but they didn't want you to lube it ,grrrr!.Greasemonkeyredneck say grease is better so grease i'tll be.He's the one with the expertice.I love running into people that have been there done that!I have time on my hands now and will look at all you work you posted ,to see where your at and what you've done.There's a never ending cycle of not knowing enough about computers it makes my head swim. But once you know you know.This is such a complicated piece of electronic no moving parts that it's not even fathomable if someone told you about it that you could operate it with little or know knowlege at all about it.It's mind boggeling wehat an invention.thankyou for shareing your needed knowlege with me.it will help me save it next time,CHOW! :D

Greasemonkeyredneck say grease is better :D

Grease is not better. Grease is what I use because I work on the cheap and that's what I have. Now my saws have held up well with grease, but others on SSV have pointed me to the error of my ways. Grease attracts dust like a magnet. I still use grease now, but its not an issue to me because I take my saws apart to grease them. It's easier to clean up the gunk with the saw disassembled. If I understand your post correctly, you will not be disasssembling yours. Without taking them apart, it's going to be difficult to remove all the built up gunk when it's time to regrease it. Someone else may be able to tell you what is best to lubricate the pivots with. I've only been scrolling a little over a year though and am still learning a lot from experience.

oil is oil,grease is thick oil.Oh thank MR.GREASEMONKEYREDNECK!No harm done ,the saw is in the mail!But i would consider adding a zerk fitting to the pivot pionts and do the grease thing.Wipe off the fitting before i juice it up and if i over do it ,they will be self cleaning.Another plus.If i don'''t have to shell out money and keep it runnin like you do i'm all for that. I like to tinker alot.BUT sometimes i try to make something a little better,sounded good on paper but rendered it totaly useless. Thats only happened maybe a few times.When there's a will there's a way.Saved me many times.Thanks for the great idea.The grease is allways going to be there and not run off like the oil would.Smart idea.You must be an engineer,tech designer.I love watching your skills in progress .I never would have imagined all the processes that go into what your doing.I'm sure your pain your in some times is off your mind as busy as you are .Say thats a handsome home depot crew you've got their.Chips off the old block .Very brite looking too ,takes after the dad .All look alikes too lol.I sent you a long pm message a while ago and was devistated that it went to the dead letter office .My puting skills are ripeining but slowly.It's fun trying .I could'nt remember all i said ,that was the bad part,it was like finding a long lost friend the way i went on and on about everything ,you ,the village ,your pain,your work in progress wip.i wanted to start over but forgot about it,Surfing the village.thanks for the info gotta go bye!travis took off my favorite smilely face so i can't send one yet!

If you examine the innards of the saw you will see that a zerk fitting would be inappropriate. Where would you put it that would get grease on those pivots? I agree that grease will attract gunk but the pivots are at the back of the saw and enclosed. I used spray lithium grease because grease stays put whereas oil runs off. Those pivots should be run in oilite bronze bearings or needle roller bearings, not steel on steel. They appear to be simple push pins - guaranteed to wear quickly. My plan is to maintain the saw as well as I can pending buying a better one. Unfortunately, by the time I need parts they will be unavailable and the Dremel will become a doorstop.