JUST HAD ANOTHER..THOUGHT.. :+}

danny

This is about finishes....  I have been mixing 50/50 Boiled Limseed Oil and Mineral Spirits for YEARS

and I really cannot say I know the reason EXCEPT for being CHEAPER in the long run. 

I just finished giving a TEST.  Might of been around forever, but not for me.  I have always used

DANISH OIL'S....Straight.... Well I gave the MIXTURE method a try and I SURE AM PLEASED.

Guestimation of 60% danish oil with the 40% Spirits, 

ANYWAY JUST A COUPLE OF 2 CENTS WORTH.........Danny  :+}

We use oil to bring out the natural color and grain in woods. Any oil will do this but we use boiled linseed oil because it's economical and available at any paint department. We cut it with mineral spirits to thin the oil. This makes the oil less viscous and allows the oil to penetrate easier into the wood and more importantly, allows the oil to dry faster.

Danish oil is a mixture of oil and dryers and other ingredients. Thining with mineral spirits will just thin already thinned oil. Good? Bad? I don't know!

You do need to use a top coat after the oil dries as the oil will not protect the wood. I like to use Deft semi gloss spray lacquer!

So Danny, that's why we use the 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits!

P.S., hey Kevin, look at my post of a couple days ago titled "hey Kevin" about the mini bird house ornaments. All finished as above.

Edited by dgman

Thank You Dan for this Lesson.  Know I know.  Yea!  One more thought.  The above mentioned 50/50 mixture really, really

does bring out the grain and seals the wood.  Always a Lighter color.  And YES....  3 GOOD COATS of My choice.  LACQUER

GLOSS.    Anyway................Danny  :+}