Newbie on a scroll

New Roy

Hello, while I have been around construction for years and just recently took early out and stepped away from a decade of full time working fire and ems i took up some woodworking kinda like a stress reliever. I realized quickly their is some definite skill and craftsmanship in the work I see you guys do. Amazed actually. I have a very creative mind and i can draw but i cannot express it in the wood as i would like. Recently i purchased a older used delta scroll saw and band saw. The scroll saw has to me a lot of vibration, i break blades and cannot seem to feed it correctly or make turns i want. The band saw i also break blades and cannot accomplish what I want. I am all self taught and usually do bigger projects involving tables taws router etc. and am wanting to incorporate more intricate pieces into them. This is turning into longer longer post than i thought sorry. Where is the best free video guide to how a scroll saw should feel normal vibration etc. types and thickness of wood to cut? How do you guys get such clean edges. Any tips trick input suggestion and advice you want to give and help me learn more timely would be appreciated thank you. I you guys have some amazing work.

When I first started a few months back, youtube was my best friend.  There are a lot of great videos on there with some great tutorials and advice.  I'm at work right now so I can't get on there to paste you some examples, but if you do a search for scroll saw tutorials you should find something.  This site has also been a lot of help for me whenever I have questions so you've already took a great first step.  As for your blade breaking problem there are a lot of things that could be causing it.  Are you using pinned or pinnless blades?  Could be too much tension or using too small a blade for the thickness/hardness of the wood you are cutting.  What type of wood are you working with and what thickness?    I'm a relative newbie myself so I'm sure the others will come along with much better information, but if I can remember tonight when I get home I'll post a link to a few of the good youtube videos I've found.

Josh

Hi Roy and welcome to the Village!........The folks here have a wealth of knowledge and share it easily. As for videos, Steve Good @ the Scroll Saw Workshop.....as well as some by Sheila Landry are the best i have found.......As josh stated, You Tube is an awesome source....Good luck and we will see you around,...Steve. 

Edited by Scrolling Steve

When I leaped into scrolling about five years back, I bought several saws from local pawn shows, which is also how I learned that there was both pinned and non pinned blades. I would suggest switching to a Porter Cable saw which can bought at Lowes for around $200. While a low end saw it has worked for me for several years and has no vibration. You only want to tighten your blades until there is a slight ping when you run your thumb along the edge of the blade. I would also suggest either Olsen or Flying Dutchman blades. I seem to have little trouble using either of those.

And like was also stated by Triple J make sure to use the right size blade for the wood you are cutting. I cut most of mine out of 1/4 Baltic Birch Plywood, also sold at Lowes however a higher quality is available at specialty shops such as Woodcraft.

Hope this helps.

Jer 

Hello, while I have been around construction for years and just recently took early out and stepped away from a decade of full time working fire and ems i took up some woodworking kinda like a stress reliever. I realized quickly their is some definite skill and craftsmanship in the work I see you guys do. Amazed actually. I have a very creative mind and i can draw but i cannot express it in the wood as i would like. Recently i purchased a older used delta scroll saw and band saw. The scroll saw has to me a lot of vibration, i break blades and cannot seem to feed it correctly or make turns i want. The band saw i also break blades and cannot accomplish what I want. I am all self taught and usually do bigger projects involving tables taws router etc. and am wanting to incorporate more intricate pieces into them. This is turning into longer longer post than i thought sorry. Where is the best free video guide to how a scroll saw should feel normal vibration etc. types and thickness of wood to cut? How do you guys get such clean edges. Any tips trick input suggestion and advice you want to give and help me learn more timely would be appreciated thank you. I you guys have some amazing work.

Welcome friend!,Lots of info is needed localize the problem your having.Too much vibrayion could be a number of things,saw not fastened solid to a table or board,not enough blade tension,blade loosens up immediatly after you start up the machine,wore out connecting arm link in the back of the saw,bad bearings somewhere etc.All these contribute to quick breakage of blades .Fast turns in corners will break the blade almost everytime.Now the band saw , Are you scrolling with a 1/8" or 3/8" blade or a 1/2" blade.To scroll good use a 1/8" blade and slow again in the turns.Blade tension needs to be tight with these saws too.Band saws have lots of adjustments for tracking so that's another story.You came to the right place for answers .Glad to have you aboard! Ask away! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Welcome Roy.  For the scroll saw - good saw, proper setup,good blades, good wood, shared experience with other scrollers, and lots and lots of practice makes for good results.   

Band saw - here are links to some bandsaw set up videos. 

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/video/how-to-set-up-a-bandsaw.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

When the blade hits the wood the stress is drawn away for me.

Larry

Welcome to the Village and the addiction. There is a ton of information around on this. But the best is learn by trial. There are a lot of people here in the Village that can and will help you along your journey, and the learning curve. I have been doing this for a few years and am still learning new things. One of the best things I did was keep a notebook handy in the beginning. Type of wood, thickness, blades used, speed of the saw and feed. As you grow, learn and make progress you will start to remember these things, almost seems second nature. You will find what works for you. May be different from what I do. I think all of us have gone through this. The biggest thing is go slow, take notes, read and try. Before you know it you'll be doing what you want the way it fits your individual style. There a lot of good books and videos out there, take your time, learn, try and see what best fits you as you grow. I think I speak for a lot of members here when I say we are all here to help along the way.

Roy, have you ever heard the saying, that practice makes perfect? Well, that's kinda the way it is with scrolling. The more practice you get the better you will get, it all takes time. You do need a descent saw though, and a good blade definitely helps. What model is your Delta saw, could you post a picture of it? The first saw I ever owned was a Delta, it had a few vibration issues but I worked around them. One of the best things you can do, is to mount the saw on a steady solid base. As for blades, maybe you should try a less aggressive type until you get you cuts under control. Another question I would like to have you answer is, is your saw a variable speed saw, or, is it the two speed model? Hopefully it's the variable speed model, they are much easier to control. If you have the variable speed model, try cutting at a slower speed. As you get better at controlling your cuts, then get used to the higher speeds.

Len

I see good advice has been offered already. I too have an old delta saw. I have found slow down the speed and make sure it is mounted solid. I don't have much problems with vibrations. One good peice of advice on the band saw that I haven't seen is make relief cuts on the wood if possible. If the sew is set up close this will help a bunch. If you are trying to make tight turns 1/8" blades relief cuts and slow down should work.

Edited by kywoodmaster

• 2 weeks later...

There is a trick to the scroll saw.

You need to have the right combo of:

1- blade

2- wood thickness

3- speed.

If the current speed sort of scares you and you are worried about getting your fingers near the blade, then slow it down to where it is comfortable.  It will lessen the vibrations and give you better control.

If you have a giant thick blade on thin wood then that combo is off.  Imagine you are cutting veneer with a big old saw from the garage,  it will splinter and break and make a mess.

Now if you had a fine toothed saw and the right amount of pressure and speed then it will look great.

There is a chart around here somewhere that explains the right sized blades for the wood you are working with.  if you cant find it here just goolge it.

Edited by crupiea