Question about wood.....

When looking at Red Oak for the Trivets i am cutting, i came across a red oak riser. It appears that it is four two inch strips glued up to make a 4ft long 8inch wide piece.I like the way it looks with a varied grain pattern, and it is cheaper per board ft. My question is how will it cut ...compared to the oak i have been using,...will it stay together after being cut??...May be a silly question, but never having worked with it i do not know.....Sometime trying to save a couple of bucks does not pay off.....Thanks for any tips or knowledge you can share!!!!.....Steve.

Edited by Scrolling Steve

Glued up boards to make wider boards is standard in any woodworking shop. What you find in hardware stores should hold together without any problem.

I routinely glue up boards to make wider blanks without any problems. Quite often I will re saw thicker boards, glue them together, then when dry, run them through the planer. Now I have thin wide boards!

In most cases glued boards are stronger and much less apt to warp.

This is very true as long and the glue up is done correctly.  If is kinda hard to explain without pictures.  When you look at the end of the board you see rings or part of the rings.  When the glue is done correctly the rings on one board will go up and the next board will go down and so on.

Depends on the color of the boards , and the grain pattern -

many times wood can be glued and its hard to tell ( if your careful )

by alternating the grain - in other words one up one down etc ( alternate the grtain direction ) -it can keep the wood from warping .

I use to be a Industrial Arts teacher -many times its hard to find a board thats wide enough

it is very common and a smart practice to do that -

Ive found with Oak , hardness can vary greatly between different boards -

Ive had some which seemed easy to cut and others that were like inpossible -

good luck - been their !

Edited by Puzzleguy

I have never strayed from edge glued boards from the factory, i don't know if you pay attention to your furniture that is made from SOLID wood but, it prevents warping and i'm told it is stronger.

My Brother-in-law is a cabinet maker and he "Flips" his grain when gluing. even if it was to add a 1/2" to the width.