Newbie with a question

Bubba1962

Hey all, newbie here from the Black Hills of South Dakota. I just finished a rather nice project, (in my opinion), it's a fretwork cross from the a magazine I got..now the big question.

I used 1/8" birch for the cutout, and then took some 3/4" Yellow Aspen, made a larger cross. (let's see if I can post a pic

crossonwood.jpg

SO, question is, how do I glue the fretwork onto the back board without making a mess?

I was thinking contact cement, or super glue, or even possibly the 3M 77 that I used to glue the pattern on the plywood. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bubba

I use Gorilla Wood Glue on everything. You have to make sure it is Gorilla WOOD Glue though. The rular stuff will expand and destroy your project. The wood glue is white, just like other brands of wood glue. If you don't want to worry about that differenciation, Elmers or Tightbond are great too. I just like Gorilla because of the faster set times.

For projects like yours, I lay a piece of paper down beside it and squirt a puddle of glue on the paper. Then I use my finger to spread it onto the back of the top piece. Then carefully position it on the bottom piece. Then it needs to be clamped to glue properly. If you don't have clamps, just carefully turn it upside down wothout moving the position of the top piece, and lay some bricks (or something pretty heavy) on the backer board.

After the glue is dry, you have a choice of leaving it natural, or applying some kind of finish like polyurethane or something. A tip for future reference is this. If you decide to stain your projects and want the cut piece and backer board in different stain colors, you can stain them. The glue will still bond to stained pieces. If you decide to attach pieces to painted parts though, use cement. My favorite for that is a brand called Duco cement.

So this is what they call fretwork,i never knew.I was curious too ,is a fret saw differant than a scroll saw.I see them advertized in the magazine.Mr.NEWBIE did a clean cut great job.I would accept his work anyday.! :) I'd like to know what blades were used too.Hope you post alot of your work .I,m eager to see more of your work.Your very good with the camera too.I've never seen a jumbo picture like that here the short time i've been here.Your work is flawless too as the jumbo picture shows every minute detail,and a super clear shot too.Bravo.Take a look at Mr greasemonkeys work he's real good at what he does.You can also private message him(pm) or e-mail him .We are very available to offer insight and help any way we can with your hobbie.Theres well over 2000 scroll sawn photos to look at in the village site as you get acustom to geting around here.Everyday i am overwelmed at how fantastic of a site this .It is very userfriendly.Travis is on the ball and doe's a super job of keeping this site top notch.He has saved me many times .I learned from my mistakes here ,like i did'nt know how to post a picture ,or shrink a picture down to fit in my gallery .It's so easy once you know.His responce was lightning fast and saved my day.Great guy to know.Feel free to scroll around ,surf,open doors .You will love your new home WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE!. :)

So this is what they call fretwork,i never knew.I was curious too ,is a fret saw differant than a scroll saw.I see them advertized in the magazine....

I don't want to hijack the thread. But it is my understanding that fretwork refers to piercing cuts, whereas scroll sawing refers to outside cuts. A fretsaw commonly refers to a handheld saw, similar to a coping saw with a long throat (I posted a pic below). I think most folks would consider a scroll saw something that is more mechanical in nature (whether man powered or by electricity).

fretsaw.png

I'd like to thank all that have replied to my question. The fact that I actually got an answer...well, actually SEVERAL answers/suggestions says a ton about this site...I won't go into details, but I've asked other questions on other boards, and got no real answers.

So, with that said, I may have called it fretwork, and it isn't, but I'm a newbie, correct me with proper terminology and I'll try to avoid the mistake in the future...also, I wound up using a gel wood glue...worked very well, thanks again to all suggestions.

Now, someone asked what I used...

The wood I used was a 1/8" birch plywood...a #2R saw blade....(actually used SEVERAL...first attempt at inside cuts, and snapped/bent several blades, but getting a TON better at threading the 'needle'), the back board was 3/4" Yelow Aspen....(I think...I don't know, but it cost me $3.00 a lineal foot!!) and took me roughly 8-9 hours of saw time.

It was fun, and challenging, and I'll post more pics in the proper forum in the future....

Once again, Thanks for the welcome,the praise, the encouragement AND, most importantly, THE SUGGESTIONS....you folks are great, and I look forward to showing off more of my newbie projects.

Bubba

I just found some Aleen's clear tacky glue. I haven't used it yet, but Aleen's regular tacky glue works great. This new stuff is goes on clear and dries clear. I have a problem with wanting to use too much glue. Hopefully this new stuff will not show so much.

Hi Bubba,

Welcome from an other Sout Dakotan. I live East of Sioux Falls.

When you ever go East stop by.

That is a great looking Cross.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement, if you are ever west river, let me know.

Oh, by the way, I just ordered some blades, drill bits, and a chuck, and didn't add sales tax to the order, feel free to tack that on, call the number I left with the order if I messed up anything else on my order...thanks again..to ALL who have thrown ideas at me...this is ALMOST as much fun as riding my motorcycle...and with winter on it's way, EASIER too! LOL

Bubba

Beautiful job on the cross! Just my two cents...there are some glues that dry clear ( I use Weldbond)..might be something to consider. Just a nice thin coat should do it...Something like what you did I'd put another piece of wood on top then grab one of the bazillion paint cans I have in my basement for weight, and let it sit the night. :lol: