DANISH & BLO MIX

amazingkevin

Just from the title you can tell i have no idea what i'm doing.But the manager at the big box store gets the prayer napkin holder in dr.danish straight and the Jesus is the reason gets the mix I'm either going to use fiberglass white colored resin or colored playdough stuffed into "is the reason for the season"]post-1607-0-91134400-1440893972_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-61212300-1440894037_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-83132300-1440894128_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-75551400-1440894200_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-30017500-1440894352_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-94596100-1440894246_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-30017500-1440894352_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-52068500-1440894494_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-22500300-1440894543_thumb.jpg This is my firstb time useing boiled linseed oil and danish oil

Both are good Kevin.  The finish will be a decent one.  Great job on those by the way.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW

That's what i needed to hear DW.Good for you! Looks like names will now be blo with oil stains as a tint. I have enough for  the rest of my life stored up. Now to get organized and set up for new and wondrous scroll saw projects.I'm working on my health right now, so as that changes my work will reflect it.You'll be one of the ones inspiring me to go all out! :);):lol::razz::drool::thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Kevin the thing with BLO is that you will have to let it soak in for a bit and then wipe the excess off.  The smoother your piece is the better the finish will be.  BLO and Danish Oil both are what is called drying oil finishes.  This means that they soak into the grain and fill the pores of the wood and then begins to harden.  The thing to keep in mind with drying oils is that it does not sit on the surface of the wood like shellac, lacquer, or most of the other finishes so make sure that you wipe it down good after giving it a good coating and what ever you do, this is important, do not leave a wadded up application rag laying around as it can spontaneously combust.  Spread it out after using it.  You do not need to flood the piece instead put the BLO on the rag and apply.  BLO will make the grain and any imperfections show up more so you will need to sand it to at least 220 grit and dust it off good before applying the BLO.  Hope this helps a bit.

DW

Kevin the thing with BLO is that you will have to let it soak in for a bit and then wipe the excess off.  The smoother your piece is the better the finish will be.  BLO and Danish Oil both are what is called drying oil finishes.  This means that they soak into the grain and fill the pores of the wood and then begins to harden.  The thing to keep in mind with drying oils is that it does not sit on the surface of the wood like shellac, lacquer, or most of the other finishes so make sure that you wipe it down good after giving it a good coating and what ever you do, this is important, do not leave a wadded up application rag laying around as it can spontaneously combust.  Spread it out after using it.  You do not need to flood the piece instead put the BLO on the rag and apply.  BLO will make the grain and any imperfections show up more so you will need to sand it to at least 220 grit and dust it off good before applying the BLO.  Hope this helps a bit.

DW

great i did dispose of the paper towels i used to apply it with real good,no problem there The ware house i had for a while went to someone else empty and they did refinishing in there .Sure enough the rags caught fire and burn the place down.I let my pattern mix paper towels dry in the air but they are just acetone and mineral spirits.Might be safe? Thanks for the heads up! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

BLO is Boiled Linseed OIl.  It is one of the hardening oils that is used for finishes.  Plain linseed oil however does not harden.  It is easy to apply and has the added advantage that the oil finish soaks into the wood then hardens.  It makes the grain stand out and can darken the wood a little.  BLO has little to no offensive or dangerous odors to deal with and is easy to apply and store.  Hope that answers your questions Ralph.

DW 

Hello there Kevin good buddy! Hey Man that's some good scrolling and finishing you've

done there! It is always a pleasure to see your beautiful work! Thank you for the photo's

Bob  ;)  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

LOL. i fon't comment you enough for the fabulous work you do for us,lol Thanks Bobscroll, i like to look at pictures myself.I have a stack 5' tall of airbrush magazines and another stack 5" tall of airbrush books and i just look at the pictures mostly as i understand what's going on,lol :D :D :D :D

BLO is Boiled Linseed OIl.  It is one of the hardening oils that is used for finishes.  Plain linseed oil however does not harden.  It is easy to apply and has the added advantage that the oil finish soaks into the wood then hardens.  It makes the grain stand out and can darken the wood a little.  BLO has little to no offensive or dangerous odors to deal with and is easy to apply and store.  Hope that answers your questions Ralph.

DW 

Right on the money! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)