Homemade scroll saw plan?

steve104

Bought two singer sewing machine treadle bases. Want to use one to make a foot powered scroll saw. Have seen a few planes ( just pics of most ). Anyone have a good plan for a wooden scroll saw? Bought blade clamps from Hawk and a 5/8 " shaft with two bearings to attach a pulley for the the treadle wheel. Just need a basic plan w/measurements. Need idea for the off set wheel to attach rod to lower arm of saw............Steve

Make you think dont it?

Seems you would need to somehow attach the treadle to the lower arm of a scrollsaw or what would be your saw.

You can see from a normal powered saw that if you push on the top arm the bottom one will work because of the mechanism in the back that hooks it all together.

i suppose you could just make a stripped out version of that easy enough or convert an old junker.

My concern would that when you use a treadle in a sewing machine there is a bit of stored energy there due to the way it works so one pump doesnt mean one stroke of the sewing machine. One stroke will last for quite a few up and down repetitions due to the balance wheel controlling things in a way.

The scroll saw would be a direct drive where one pump down is one down stroke, release, one stroke up.  The speed would be pretty slow to actually cut anything.

of course this can be figured out somehow.  I wish you the best on it sounds like a fun project.

Thanks San Diego for encouragement. I will have to do some calculations on pulley size to determine speed ratio between the treadle wheel and concentric wheel connecting to the saws lower arm. I do have some ideas for the design of the saw. The treadle frames are in perfect condition. They look almost new. I will post pics when I finish it. They deliver our building next Friday, and will be erected the next week. It will be a few weeks to insulate, install AC and electrical. Then we can move all the woodworking tools in and start working again......Steve

Bought two singer sewing machine treadle bases. Want to use one to make a foot powered scroll saw. Have seen a few planes ( just pics of most ). Anyone have a good plan for a wooden scroll saw? Bought blade clamps from Hawk and a 5/8 " shaft with two bearings to attach a pulley for the the treadle wheel. Just need a basic plan w/measurements. Need idea for the off set wheel to attach rod to lower arm of saw............Steve

Boy i had a post here along time ago before2012.One of our members chimed in and said he builds his own scroll saw.I'm racking my brain trying to remember his name so you can contact him with your quest.

I purchased a good one from Rick Hutcheson's web site - http://www.scrollsaws.com/  On the left side if the page is a collum scroll down towards the bottom and you will see " Foot Scrollsaw"  He has two verstions a pedal version and a treadle version.

DW

It amazes me that some people have so much woodworking skills that they even want to try something like this

Dick

heppnerguy