Veining question

Bubba1962

Ok folks, here's a good one.

Did a small project, with a TON of veins in it...ie small lines, designed to look like scroll paper ends. Used a 5/32" drill bit, and a #2R blade...now I got a board with what looks to be a bunch of...well..to put it as nicely as possible...sperm. Big round end, and long skinny, swirly bodies.

Not sure how to prevent this in the future...other than bigger blade, smaller drill bit...(do they make them smaller than a 5/32"? )

Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bubba

I know exactly what you're talking about. There are smaller (much smaller) drill bits. for a #3 blade I use a #63 drill bit. The #3 blade just fits the hole. It still leaves a slightly round entry hole in the vein, but it is much less noticeable. After I make the veining cut, I will sometimes cut back into the blade entry hole to smooth it out a bit and make the hole even less noticeable. Most of the online stores that you purchase patterns and blades will have these small drill bits. Mike's Workshop http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm tells you what size drill bit to use for the blade you have.

I remember being at a county fair a few years ago and saw a guy selling Christmas ornaments. His work was filled with the little "sperms". I wanted to tell him about it, but didn't want to offend him. I knew he put a lot of work into it.

I try to do the same thing that does with the veining cuts. In some cases, I will drill my hole in the middle of the vein and then attempt to feather the veining cut out from the starter hole. I think the pattern determines how you hand the start hole for the veining cuts depending on the nature of the pattern.

My 1.5 cents worth is when veining drill the smallest possible hole at both ends, that way it looks like thats how it was designed to be.

Another way is to cut the vein with say a #1 regular blade then follow that up with a #0 spiral blade, the spiral will open the vein up a little more (and will be easier to see) and it follows the already cut vein line well.

I'm still experimenting with this, but it seems to work the way I want it to. ( for now).

Merlin

I do a lot of veining in my portraits. I use a #63 blade that I got in a mini drill bit set at Harbour Freight. I use #3 spirals by Flying Dutchman that I get from Mike's Workshop. With this set up, you cut the vein, backtrack to the beginning to clean out sawdust and you can't tell there was ever a round hole drilled.

Thanks to all that replied. What I did was go to Mike's website, there he has a table showing which drill bit for which saw blade, ordered a bunch of stuff, and will try again.

So many projects, so little time, and to top it all off, my Wife INSISTED I show her how to use the new tool, (she is VERY artistic), and now I fear I'm going to have to fight with her for cutting time....woe is me.

Thanks again all,

Bubba

Wife, kids, friends? I wish I could find anyone locally as interested in scrolling as me. We could set up saws side by side and improve each other's cutting.

I certainly can identify with you on this statement. I would love to have a shop/show partner. My wife just is not interested in either although she will go to a couple of shows with me. She does not care for crowds like that and meeting a lot of people. Steve