finish for painted/natural

nicholas

I have a christmas ornament that I want to paint parts of and leave some parts natural wood. I have latex paint. I'm going to paint the painted parts first and then I want to spray the whole thing with poly to seal the natural wood. Can I spray oil based poly over latex paint??? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Scroll saw village--greatest site ever :cool:

Hey Nicholas:

I'm not sure about that particular combination (paint/finish). When I color my wood pieces I use acrylic paints. Then to seal the paint I use a spray "fixative." When dry I use a spray polyacrylic finish like Krylon matte or gloss clear. The fixative will keep the colors from "melting" when you apply the final finish.

Usually when I paint projects, I'll do my color first with regular acrylic craft paints, then use an acrylic spray to seal in the project. Its in the same area you'd buy the oil based spray. Just look for acrylic or water based on the can. That would be the safest route. Plus it doesn't stink up the house as much. ;)

However, It is my understanding that you can put an oil product over a latex product just fine. But putting latex on top of an oil product will not work (without proper preparation). This is because the latex doesn't have anywhere to grab onto, such as wood pores. It will therefore be more likely to peel off.