blade tensioning

Young_Scroller

I have a 16 inch craftsman scroll saw and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to tension/loosen the blade faster as the tension knob is in the back of the saw. this tends to get really annoying when I'm working on a long project. Thanks!

-Joe

Craftsman_Scroll_Saw_F2-620x330.jpg

LOL,I don't miss that feature owning a dw788 now,Just slows things down ,takes away from scrolling pleasure and a real pain to do changing blades fast.Larry's right "It is what it is".If you want better don't spend less than $500.00 for a new saw .I have 4 used one time dw788's i got for free trading my practice intarsia pieces for for one,another one for $180.00,another one for $250.00 ,another one for$225.00 all from craigs list.

Edited by amazingkevin

I have a 16 inch craftsman scroll saw and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to tension/loosen the blade faster as the tension knob is in the back of the saw. this tends to get really annoying when I'm working on a long project. Thanks!

-Joe

Craftsman_Scroll_Saw_F2-620x330.jpg

Joe, I have the same saw. I don't have a problem reaching back to loosen/tighten the tension. I did not like using the tee handle to undo/redo the upper blade fastener so I replaced the set screw with a knob. Here is a post about changing it.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/13524-blade-wobble-craftsman/

I can change to a new hole in a project including reducing tension, undoing top blade clamp, putting blade through the next hole, redoing the blade clamp, and tightening the tension all in a matter of seconds. Since I'm only a hobbyist I don't see the need to spend $$$ to get a quick release tension clamp. I'll leave thst to the pros.

BTW you'll have to scroll down through the post to see the fix.

Edited by Lorenzo

With the craftsman saw when doing fretwork say a project with 250 holes you spend 1/2 or better seating the tension , I owned a craftsman for a long time then I bought a DW 788it was like I was in heaven a well spent $500 + tax. i now have 2   788's.  I bought the second one for $150 My advice is buy a DW 788  new or used and find someone to buy the craftsman, there is no comparison between the 2

Hey Guys, maybe, just maybe he's using the best he can afford already. I remember being there, and when I asked a question about the saw I owned, there was no answer that could be any less helpful then to be told to go out and buy better by people who obviously had more money then I did. Especially, seeing as how I already bought as good as I could afford at that time.

Joe, you don't have a top of the line saw, but, I imagine that you already know that. If it is to much of a PITA to reach to the back tensioner, then all you can do is hold the top arm down as hard as possible while tightening the clamp. If you put enough downward pressure on top arm, and maintain the downward pressure while tightening up the blade clamp, the blade will be as far up into the clamp as possible. By doing it this way, the blade shouldn't need any more tension. There's all kinds of time to save up and buy a better saw in the future, for now you will have to learn to do with what you own.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

Hi,

I have a 10+ year old Performax saw, that I bought from Menards (a home improvement store in only 3 or 4 States in the Midwest USA.)

(They are not made anymore.) The blade tension is in back like yours. I NEVER tension the blade. Just hold the top arm down when clamping the blade. I hold the bottom of a new blade with a thin vice-grip to know how far down to clamp the bottom. You quickly learn where to position the top of the blade before clamping it.

To see some my work go to: Bragging Rights - Page 9 - "Some of my stuff"

By the way, my old saw died peacefully in it sleep recently. Have a new saw here and am building a stand for it now. Pictures to follow later.

jerry

Don't they make a quick change clamp system like the old Deltas had on them for that saw? Seems like I saw a Craftsman with that on it. Might be worth checking out.

You're correct kywoodmaster.  It says temporarily unavailable on their site, but young_scroller, you may wish to check into this closer.  It may become available or maybe elsewhere under a different name.  http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-scroll-saw-blade-conversion-kit-22259/p-00922259000P

Here's the picture:

spin_prod_206184701_zpswx1rr2ev.jpg

You're correct kywoodmaster.  It says temporarily unavailable on their site, but young_scroller, you may wish to check into this closer.  It may become available or maybe elsewhere under a different name.  http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-scroll-saw-blade-conversion-kit-22259/p-00922259000P

Here's the picture:

spin_prod_206184701_zpswx1rr2ev.jpg

This kit allows older Craftsmans to use the newer pinless blades bur the new model already allows that! i don't think the adaptor addressed the tension. I still think I have more control of the tension by using the knob on the rear. I even adjust it while cutting sometimes.

This kit allows older Craftsmans to use the newer pinless blades bur the new model already allows that! i don't think the adaptor addressed the tension. I still think I have more control of the tension by using the knob on the rear. I even adjust it while cutting sometimes.

Correct again.   Time for that second cup of coffee.  I was responding to kywoodmasters post which, I suppose, amounts to a thread hijack.  My apologies guys.  

Although the tension adjustment is a pain, perhaps with more use a way is found to deal with the inconvenience as you have done and suggested to Young_Scroller.  Patience is much less expensive but sometimes difficult to acquire.