I hate spiral blades but....

NC Scroller

I have a Charles Dearing horse pattern I am working on that really needs to be cut with spirals.  I have tried on a DeWalt 788 and a Hawk VS226.  I can maneuver with spirals and cut as I pretty much want.   While I am making progress I am breaking blades, bending blades at the end and or they pop out of the blade holders.  I have NO issues with flat blades of any type, brand or style.  I am bound and determined to get this done.  For those who work with spirals on a regular basis any tips or pointers?

BTW, I have FD # 1 and #3 spirals as well as some FD New Spirals in the same size.

Some people use a little hammer or something to flatten the ends.  I do not do that but some do.  I use the 3/0 size which is the smallest and have experienced bending of the ends occasionally and figure it is the nature of the beast.  I think it happens when tightening on the edge of the blade.  You can feel it happening and if I can I loosen and re-position the blade up or down a little. Helps sometimes.

Edited by Scrappile

Some people use a little hammer or something to flatten the ends.  I do not do that but some do.  I use the 3/0 size which is the smallest and have experienced bending of the ends occasionally and figure it is the nature of the beast.  I think it happens when tightening on the edge of the blade.  You can feel it happening and if I can I loosen and re-position the blade up or down a little. Helps sometimes.

What Paul said is also my experience, I am cutting a Dearing right now using the FDNS 3/0 and after 24 or so blades have only broken one.....I have found that when a blade starts to dull and i have to push is when i get in trouble...I am using more blades but the project goes smoother......Good Luck !!

Thanks Guys for the help.  I tried a few of your suggestions (flatten the ends and slowing the feed rate) and it seems to be helping.  Scrolling Steve I think that is also part of my problem.  I am pushing too hard when the blades dull and that is when I have breakage. 

I also found I have some FD NS 2/0 blades.  I will also try using a smaller blade when I get back in the shop.

I have a Charles Dearing horse pattern I am working on that really needs to be cut with spirals.  I have tried on a DeWalt 788 and a Hawk VS226.  I can maneuver with spirals and cut as I pretty much want.   While I am making progress I am breaking blades, bending blades at the end and or they pop out of the blade holders.  I have NO issues with flat blades of any type, brand or style.  I am bound and determined to get this done.  For those who work with spirals on a regular basis any tips or pointers?

BTW, I have FD # 1 and #3 spirals as well as some FD New Spirals in the same size.

Keep the spirals extra tight, check often,push 3 times as slow as a straight blade and you be a master in no time

!

I work with spirals a lot and prefer to use the smallest blade possible (usually 3/0).  I tend to break a lot of them if I'm stack cutting, and sometimes have to give in and go with a larger blade like a 1 or 3.  Like others have said though with spirals you want to use as little force as possible when feeding the wood to the blade, a good blade should do the work for you.  I also agree with Kevin, make sure your blade tension is good and tight.

there you go. You have now heard from some of the experts with spiral blades. I too do not like spiral blades for several reasons but i do go to them from time to time, and I am getting more success as I do. I can not imagine ever using them as my ' go to blades", but who knows? I find myself doing new things all the time with scrolling..

Good luck with your spirals..One thing I learned on this thread is, it is not wise to push your spiral blade life time, change them often

Dick

heppnerguy

This is not the best pic but here is the results.  I am very proud and happy to report it was cut totally with spiral blades.  A first for me. Like I said I have used spirals on some patterns before but on only limited cuts.  Will I throw away my flat blades, HELL NO.  But I will be more comfortable in using spirals when I need to in the future. 

In case you missed it the designer is Charles Dearing.

12068797_1018172191548438_56131655078609

Scott, you should be proud of yourself, that is a beautiful job on the cut!! I have only been scrolling for 10 years and had to learn on my own, but I started with the spiral blades, not knowing any better, and like the idea that you could cut large portraits that would fit on a 16 inch table without spinning the project! With that said, all of the comments made are true and the only thing I can add is to use all sides of the blade. By that I mean when you detect that the blade is dulling, don't just replace it, simple orientate your cut so that you will be using a different section of the blade. You will notice the difference as if it was a new blade. It works for me anyway!

Erv