Family Name Sign and a Lauan and Mahogany Bowl

DWSUDEKUM

The backer for the sign is 3/4 pine.  The sign itself is 1/4 Cherry.  This is not for anyone specific, I cut it to be a display model for my shows.  It will allow me to show what it might look like and to give them some idea of any changes that they would like to make when ordering.

92515cd_001.jpg

This bowl was cut from my scrap pile.  I had a section of 1/4 inch mahogany and a section of 1/2 lauan plywood.  After gluing the mahogany to the top and bottom of the lauan plywood I cut this bow.  It is 4 1/4 in diameter.  Sealed with tung oil and shellaced.

92515cd_002.jpg

92515cd_003.jpg

92515cd_004.jpg

DW

The backer for the sign is 3/4 pine.  The sign itself is 1/4 Cherry.  This is not for anyone specific, I cut it to be a display model for my shows.  It will allow me to show what it might look like and to give them some idea of any changes that they would like to make when ordering.

92515cd_001.jpg

This bowl was cut from my scrap pile.  I had a section of 1/4 inch mahogany and a section of 1/2 lauan plywood.  After gluing the mahogany to the top and bottom of the lauan plywood I cut this bow.  It is 4 1/4 in diameter.  Sealed with tung oil and shellaced.

92515cd_002.jpg

92515cd_003.jpg

92515cd_004.jpg

DW

Mr,DW, I was wondering if you use a bowl press .The more you experiment with different ways of doing glue ups is gnawing away at my nerves.I feel so out of place not making some bowls similar to your quality.Each and every project you do is top of the line work and a lot of it too.Terrylee gas done over 500  intarsias and i was wondering how many bowls you've done and when was your first one started.Keep them coming,Well month's ago i made the press for gluing wood scraps together for bowls ,now i see i need to make a bowl press.I hope i live long enough to catch up with my pipe dreams,lol

Mr,DW, I was wondering if you use a bowl press .The more you experiment with different ways of doing glue ups is gnawing away at my nerves.I feel so out of place not making some bowls similar to your quality.Each and every project you do is top of the line work and a lot of it too.Terrylee gas done over 500  intarsias and i was wondering how many bowls you've done and when was your first one started.Keep them coming,Well month's ago i made the press for gluing wood scraps together for bowls ,now i see i need to make a bowl press.I hope i live long enough to catch up with my pipe dreams,lol

Kevin I will take a picture of my simple bowl press, actually I have 2 different kinds.

This is my experimental one - it basically is a scissor jack with a piece of stair tread attached  

22815_cd_004.jpg

This is the one I use the most

Bowl_Press_002.jpg

As you can see it is real simple.  A board with 4 all thread rods sticking up with enough room to put a 10 inch bowl between them.

As for the glue-ups they almost all are done with bar and c clamps.  Occasionally I will glue one up then put it on the floor and put part of an old weight set on it until the glue set.  

DW