Sharing others designs

TheWoodArtist

I'm not going to say that designs are being copied and stolen, but it goes on. My thing is this, if you find a design and it looks just like someone's already out why not just change it to the point it's clearly different or just not design it and use the one already posted. Also, if you buy a design/pattern from somewhere or someone, why share it. I mean you payed for it why not have others do the same. Designers are getting a hard enough time trying to pay their bills anyway. Why take away from them. I know one design isn't that much but when you share it to everyone, it does add up. PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO START DESIGNING YOUR OWN PATTERNS/DESIGNS, I SUGGEST JUST SHARE WHERE YOU GOT IT NOT THE DESIGN!!! ALSO, IF IT'S NOT YOUR DESIGN, DON'T SHARE IT, SHARE WHERE YOU GOT IT... IF IT KEEPS UP, NO ONE WILL OFFER FREE DESIGNS ANYMORE AND AGAIN YOU'LL HAVE TO DESIGN IT YOURSELF! AND FACE IT, IF YOU ARE USING SOMEONE'S DESIGN THAT MEANS YOU EITHER COULDN'T MAKE IT YOURSELF OR YOU LIKED THE DESIGN AND COULDN'T DO IT BETTER THAN THE ONE WHO DESIGNED IT.. IF IT DON'T CHANGE I'M AFRAID YOU'LL START SEEING MORE OF A DECLINE THAN THAT'S ALREADY GOING ON.
Ok rant over back to normal activity..

They were told I wasn't ranting more less making an comment and also letting any newbies that don't know or have seen others doing this and thought about doing it... It's not just morally wrong it's theft and will end up causing problems and could lead to not having patterns available. Sorry if I offended anyone. (Actually I'm not really sorry as if it offends someone then the way I see it is that most likely they are one of the ones doing it). Sorry just tired of dealing with it as I'm sure others are also.. I've been guilty of having designs from others that others on my behalf posting for me on my sites but once found out they were removed and lead me to handle my sites myself.. But do like the idea of your "wall of shame" for a couple of reasons: 1) to let people know who they are and 2) to let the designers know to refuse service to these people. The only downfall about that is that it would be kinda hard to actually know if they stole it or not with so many designers using images that are available to everyone. Which in this case could lead to even more problems.

Basically people taking someone's design and sharing it to others as their design... I'm not saying anything about someone using a design to make something and do whatever they do with the project I'm talking about the pattern itself. That's why we all post, sale patterns is for them to be used to make things but not claim the patterns as their own... But obviouslly this has chapped a few so I'll not post anymore about it... I make patterns and love to see them made into projects by others but not sale them or post them as their's... It's one thing to share them without giving at least credit to the maker but another when someone takes the time to make one and then someone sales them... I won't be making them for anyone anymore, and now see why I don't post much because what I say offends others when I'm morally right.. If someone wants a design, well I'll make it into a finished project and they can pay for that but no more patterns free or pay... Again guess I've offended some but like mentioned earlier I don't care.

Any work I have done from a pattern from someone else I always write their name on the back of the finished piece, but that's me. Conscience  or no conscience if someone claims another's pattern as their own THEY know the truth- What goes around comes around as my Dad always said. You haven't offended anyone.

Chris:

I for one am not offended. You speak the truth about laying false claims to something that is not yours. When I did craft shows I have had many people tell me that I was an artist. I always corrected them that the people that develop the patterns are the artist, I am only a craftsman. As the old saying goes please don't let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel. There are many people who follow the rules and enjoy cutting great patterns from many sources and always give credit where due. Just take a look back thru the bragging rights section. Seems as if there is always someone looking to make a quick buck at others expense. Good luck on whatever you final decision is.

Later Larry

No not here. What happened was someone asked through social media if I could make a portrait pattern of a popular person for them. After searching for a photo I got permission to use from the owner as I couldn't find one "free to use". I make the pattern for free as I do for a lot of scrollers. Not even a day after giving it to them, it popped up on his social media in a collage with other patterns in small format (some I know were other designers) claiming them as their design for sale for $4 a piece. That's what ticked me off more than anything as after taking the time to make it for free he's trying to make money off it along with other designs from designers, not counting having their name on them like they made them. I know if it was an issue here, I would've never posted it. I would've handled it privately with Travis. This post from eariler was kinda a rant I suppose but more of a warning to the fellow designers that post patterns here and on the other fourms out there. Just because they aren't posting them on the fourms, doesn't mean they aren't stealing them. Thanks for the ones that I haven't offended and want to apoligize for maybe going extreme with my choice of words it just pissed me off not just for stealing it but for trying to make money off it after I didn't take money from this person to make it, in which I was offered a payment but didn't take it and now I'm probably better off by not taking the payment b/c who knows that may have come from someone else and caused even more problems.

I'm not going to say that designs are being copied and stolen, but it goes on. My thing is this, if you find a design and it looks just like someone's already out why not just change it to the point it's clearly different or just not design it and use the one already posted. Also, if you buy a design/pattern from somewhere or someone, why share it. I mean you payed for it why not have others do the same. Designers are getting a hard enough time trying to pay their bills anyway. Why take away from them. I know one design isn't that much but when you share it to everyone, it does add up. PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO START DESIGNING YOUR OWN PATTERNS/DESIGNS, I SUGGEST JUST SHARE WHERE YOU GOT IT NOT THE DESIGN!!! ALSO, IF IT'S NOT YOUR DESIGN, DON'T SHARE IT, SHARE WHERE YOU GOT IT... IF IT KEEPS UP, NO ONE WILL OFFER FREE DESIGNS ANYMORE AND AGAIN YOU'LL HAVE TO DESIGN IT YOURSELF! AND FACE IT, IF YOU ARE USING SOMEONE'S DESIGN THAT MEANS YOU EITHER COULDN'T MAKE IT YOURSELF OR YOU LIKED THE DESIGN AND COULDN'T DO IT BETTER THAN THE ONE WHO DESIGNED IT.. IF IT DON'T CHANGE I'M AFRAID YOU'LL START SEEING MORE OF A DECLINE THAN THAT'S ALREADY GOING ON.

Ok rant over back to normal activity..

I vented last week , the wood artist this week ,whos next,it's catchy

I'm not ticked off about the rant, I didn't read it, simply because I don't bother reading postings that are all in capital letters. But, from reading others postings I get where your coming from, and I do understand your frustration. Did you mention any of your concerns to the original offender/thief? If so, what was their reply? Did you try to get the pics of the pattern taken down, were you successful? Is there any way you can contact the owner/provider of the site to report the posting of stolen property? Where is the offender from, what country? Can you post the pattern in enough free places, so, that the offender will not make any money off of your work? I know this won't put any money in your pocket by doing this, but, hopefully it won't allow any money to be put in his off of your work.

Len

It's being taken care of Lucky2. Thanks to someone posting on one of the fourms a while back how to hide your name or things into the pattern that won't be seen unless you know it's there and brought to attention. I've been doing this a long time and spend the money to do what I do legally (permission license and so on). I am in the process of taken care of it legally and as far as the social media it was posted on, it was reported but thanks for the tips. As far as posting it on sites I don't do that much just do them as request and for reasons mentioned, but that is changing also. Again thanks for the tips but it's all being taken care of.

I agree with what has been said. That was one of the reasons, I slowed the pattern making way down prior to me getting drowned in private issues that made me stop all together. Hoping I can get back into the swing of things, while I still have a lot of issues to deal with, but I am starting to get them under control.  Will I be offering my patterns back up? Only time will tell. Pattern makers work hard at making their patterns regardless if they make their patterns to be sold or for free.  Regardless if the patterns are free or purchased, they would like a little recognition and to see a picture of the cutting. This specially holds true for those who make them for free. Seeing the finished product not only makes them feel good about what they did but also allows them to improve their skills as they can see things in the final piece that could have been done better to make it look better.

Chris

As a new scroller, I am still learning the ropes.  I have used some of the patterns on this site, and on Steve Good's site, including making desk name plaques.  I have NOT sold any of these items, I am just honing my skills on them.  What is the proper procedure for this?  I am not claiming any of these patterns as my own, and everyone knows this.  Should I be somehow be inscribing the pattern makers name on everything I make?  I don't even put my name on them, they are being made for fun and not profit.

I have played around with the GIMP tutorials and would hopefully like to make patterns.  I can certainly understand a "RANT" if I were to spend the time and effort to make a pattern and then discover that someone is selling my pattern. 

I join the others on this forum that there is no offence taken to expressing one's concerns and frustrations over this type of issue.  I would consider this a type of copywrite infringement. 

As long as you have obtained the pattern legitimately, you can make as many projects as you want and sell as many projects as you want.

You do not have to credit the designer, but you can not credit yourself as the designer or sell the patterns or even give them away.

The whole point here is someone claiming someone else's patern as theirs and selling them for a profit.

I am not certain about making and selling projects if you buy the pattern. There are some scroll saw patterns where it expressly prohibits making and selling projects from a pattern. There are others that it is ok to do that.

One should read the "fine print" when buying a pattern as many are copyrighted. You can usually also email the owner of the pattern. Will you be caught if you violate the terms of purchase, probably not. Is it wrong, yes.

I think that the pattern designers should be compensated for their work to encourage more designs.

I am not certain about making and selling projects if you buy the pattern. There are some scroll saw patterns where it expressly prohibits making and selling projects from a pattern. There are others that it is ok to do that.

One should read the "fine print" when buying a pattern as many are copyrighted. You can usually also email the owner of the pattern. Will you be caught if you violate the terms of purchase, probably not. Is it wrong, yes.

I think that the pattern designers should be compensated for their work to encourage more designs.

I have never seen a pattern where it prohibits the making and selling the projects  I have obtained (legally) patterns from many sources for many years.  At best some patterns do specific state they number of photo copies you are legally allows to make.

Just to clarify, a person should only share patterns they personally designed themselves from copyright free material.  If the pattern was designed by someone else, please do not share it even though it was posted on a free site.  Instead, point them to the place they can download it for themselves.  Pattern designers work hard to make patterns for fellow scrollers.  They want to control where and how the patterns are distributed.

Most of the time, patterns that are either downloaded for free or purchased, you can sell the final product (but not the pattern).  It is understood that these projects remain in the crafting world and not the mass production world.  Every once in a while, extra stipulations are added to the use of the pattern.  Things like for personal use only, can't be sold, no lasers, etc.  In those cases, please adhere to their wishes.  You may try contacting them for special permission.

You don't have to give pattern credit on your final project.  It is a nice gesture however, but I don't think it's necessary.  You can make that decision on your own.