Sharing others designs

TheWoodArtist

Rusty,

I don't remember the site (several years ago now). Myself and a couple of others tried to talk to the individual and he was, can't say what I want to as this is a family site, a complete butt about it.

Sorcier,

First off let me welcome you to the world of scrolling and to the Village.

No you do not need to indicate the designer on the final project. If you use a pattern for free from a site like this one, it is a reasonable gesture (at least in my mind) to take a picture of the final project and post it on the site were you got the pattern from and thank / give the designer credit. And yes some designers do limit the use of their patterns.  For example I have obtained permission from some photographers to use their work and have stated that my final patterns could only be used for personal use, or could be shared and that the final cutting could not be sold. So please make sure that you look at the pattern and any enclosed information that comes with it. 

Everyone,

Remember designers work hard on the designs that they make for your use, again regardless if it is for free or paid for. A simple thank you to them, and like I said maybe a picture of the finished project goes a long way. In many cases it drives the designer to make more patterns. I know when I was getting the thank you and was able to see a picture, I was designing more patterns than I was cutting, just because it made me feel good to know that someone appreciated the work that went into the pattern I made. Please also remember that several of the patterns that are made take several hours to make. I know I have worked on patterns for several days in an attempt to get it right only to scrap it and try again.

Sorry, I need to shut up and get off the soap box..LOL. 

How much of a change to a pattern is necessary for someone to 'claim it'?  One extra cutout, 50% of the entire pattern, 99.999% of it?

I ask because I don't know, not because I want to get beat up.....and it's still too early to go outside and crank up a chainsaw to slab some Butternut{Juglans cinerea}, the wife would kill me.

Scott (the crackhead next door would flipout) B

I get where op is coming from.  he invested his hard work it making the patterns and someone else simply copied them and is selling them as their own.  pretty shady.

There is another side to the coin though.  i like to think that this art form is closely related to tattoos in many ways.

Disney or the nfl does not come after a tattoo artist or a person who gets a mickey mouse tattoo even though there is no mistaking what it is.  The tattoo artist just doesnt claim that he designed mickey from scratch but he clearly did not get permission from the original owner to not only reproduce it but to sell it.

Of course they dont claim that it is officially licensed merchandise either so maybe that is why they get a pass.  dont know just some food for thought.

Well I'm not offended either. I'm not a pattern maker but wish I was. I have gotten a few patterns from fellow scroller's on her but there all for my personal use. I don't sell anything and I always tell where the pattern came from or who made it for me. I don't think that';s to much to ask other scroller's to do.