How does tape cool the blades?

SDB777

Pretty much as the title asks.....

How does a piece of tape cool the blades?

I see it mentioned all over the YouTube, but no explaination is given......
I have looked up the most common materials used in making that clear 'packing tape', and I find no thermal reducing qualities listed. So, please enlighten me!

Scott (more equal cooler) B

Simple physics though....anything added to anything increases thickness, more thickness always equals more resistance, more resistance equals friction.

I would think that an acrylic adhesive and polypropylene film(typical components that make up packing tape) have no thermal reducing qualities or added lubricants?  Then again, most of the tape manufacturers are not very forthcoming on what they actually use in making packing tape, and WIKI is lacking information that I'm seeking(but they will sure tell you about some French fella the bonding scale was named after).

Scott (too early for a chainsaw to be running) B

There is a chemical added to the adhesive that helps the tape from sticking to itself so you can unroll it. This substance lubricates the blade.

My take is at some point in time, somone used tape to tape together a stack of boards and found it cut easier when he cut through the it. Then told the rest of us.

Try it, you will be surprised.

Simple physics though....anything added to anything increases thickness, more thickness always equals more resistance, more resistance equals friction.

I would think that an acrylic adhesive and polypropylene film(typical components that make up packing tape) have no thermal reducing qualities or added lubricants?  Then again, most of the tape manufacturers are not very forthcoming on what they actually use in making packing tape, and WIKI is lacking information that I'm seeking(but they will sure tell you about some French fella the bonding scale was named after).

Scott (too early for a chainsaw to be running) B

Scott (too early for a chainsaw to be running)  No wonder they throw cans and bottles at you. haaaaaaaaaaaa :lol:  :lol: Roly

There is a chemical added to the adhesive that helps the tape from sticking to itself so you can unroll it. This substance lubricates the blade.

My take is at some point in time, somone used tape to tape together a stack of boards and found it cut easier when he cut through the it. Then told the rest of us.

Try it, you will be surprised.

Could not say it better myself.  I have done a lot of demos and showed it to a lot of folks over the years.  Most people when they first see it tell you NAH but most of them now are using packing table. The only time I do not use it is when doing detailed fret work on plywoods.  The only reason I do not use it in plywood as I have had some breakage of tiny pieces when removing the tape.

I use packing tape to help secure the pattern. Though I do not use it all the time.

Never noticed a difference and  really does not matter to me if it lubs or not. 

As small as the blades and teeth are and the relatively small cost,

I don't think a couple more strokes on a blade saves  a lot.

Just my take.... :D

I can see no difference by using tape. If you feel your blade once in a while ( turn the saw off) and it is hot then.#1 the blade is dull. 2 you are running too fast, I have been cutting out letters for a name trtain out of 3/4 ( actual .800 ) thick popular I have cut the engine, combos, and 22 letters on the same blade. I am unseeing a #9 crown tooth blade. I have a DW 788 and the speed is at the #5 on the dial, when the blade get dull I just take it out and use the other end because it cuts on both the down and Up stroke. Oh yes the blade is an Olson blade.

Depending on what kind of wood you are cutting, the difference is pretty obvious with a burn vs no burn effect.  If you are cutting hard plastic, the plastic with tape cuts clean and does not melt back together after the cut.  Without the tape, you get melting re-bonding issues.

This isn't one of those urban legends type things.  I don't typically use it unless I need it, but if I'm cutting something that burns easy, the addition of tape drastically changes the behavior and minimizes/eliminates the burn.  I'm not so concerned with how it works, as long as it does work.

---------Randy

Edited by hotshot

Roly, If the bottles were 'returnable' I'd keep them!  But Arkansas doesn't have that in place.....besides, I've never seen them before 4pm.  Even with a ported 95cc screamer milling a log(hehehe).  Now the old sawmill, less noise then a riding lawnmower.  And technically, they aren't throwing them at me, just into the yard so they don't have to put the bottle in the trash can.....too much effort for crackheads.

I like knowing how ice cream is made too!

Scott (mystery of the universe is easier) B

Scott, try it, it's not all that expensive to try experimenting with. You might like the way it improves the way the wood moves over the table. Or, you just might like the way it helps to prevent oak from burning on the edges. After trying it out, get back to us to let us know what you think of it.

Len