Drilling smaller than 1/16"

JohnR48

Need some help on how to drill smaller than 1/16" as a lot of times it's just too large.

Tried 1/32" using a pin vice in my drill press, but with no success.  Was a bit for metal and the wood just clogged the flutes.

Thanks in advance.

John

Thanks guys.  Makes me feel stupid for not thinking that myself.

Live and learn.

Edited by JohnR48

Need some help on how to drill smaller than 1/16" as a lot of times it's just too large.

Tried 1/32" using a pin vice in my drill press, but with no success.  Was a bit for metal and the wood just clogged the flutes.

Thanks in advance.

John

I've been there too many times and just enlarge patterns so i can stay using the 1/16" drill bit .Less problems of broken bits ,needing a special chuck to hold tiny bits and just over all easy of what ever using the 1/16" bit.Sorry i didn't help with what you wanted to do. :)

John, when I need to use the small index drill bits, I use my full size drill press, the chuck will hold even the smallest size bits. The best way to use these small drill bits, is to only leave enough of the drill bit protruding out of the chuck to drill through the wood cleanly. You will not break as many bits, if you do it this way. The bit gets better support from the chuck, and it doesn't allow the bit to wobble which could cause it to break.

Len

Small bits like #54, #58 etc break because they tend to flex and not drill a vertical hole.  You can eliminate that by only leaving only about 1/4" extending from the chuck...drill to make a starter hole and then extend the bit to the required length and finish drilling. 

On tiny bits like that I use a pin vise and drill by hand.  Start with just 1/4" of the bit sticking out of the pin vise and drill till the pin vise jaws meet the work piece, then pull the drill bit out of the hole (VERY gently) and extend the drill bit another 1/4" and extend the depth of the hole.  In twoor three goes, the hole is through.  A little picky but generally the drill bit survives the encounter.  Pin vises, laddy - that's the ticket.

I have worked with all types of materiel and drilled some very small holes. I use a small Jacobs chuck that I can chuck in a larger chuck. The main thing is to peck your way through, making sure to clear your chips. I also have some small pin vices that I have used and just spin them between my fingers on softer materiel.

you might try and peck drill- that is drill a little deep and pull out  and do it again till you get thru the material. I worked in a machine shop and the CNC lathe use a .1/64 drill thru metal by drilling .01 deep  at a time. the only problem with wood the grain has different hardness, but it is worth a try.