Home Depot

Travis

Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm a little late to the game.  I'm a Lowes shopper mostly.  I like their stores better and it's closer to my house.  On a whim, I went to Home Depot this weekend to pick up some MDF.  I stopped by their hardwoods area to check the price on Oak.  Much to my surprise, they had all kinds of interesting woods; cherry, birch, walnut, mahogony, alder and a couple of others.  Maybe it's a regional thing, but it might be worth checking out Home Depot and see what kind of selection they have in your area. 

This is gunna cost me a fortune.   ;)

My friend works at lowes and says they don' make any money on the wood they sell? I've switched to lowes from being a long time depot buyer,they are not crowed ,and have plenty of handicap electric carts right by the front door, at the depot you have to go to the middle door and they are not easy to get out of that area.I have not checked on their craft woods but i will now.I really can't afford craft wood and give away.It's all i can do now buying spray cans to make bigger smiles giving names away. ;) ;) ;)

Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm a little late to the game.  I'm a Lowes shopper mostly.  I like their stores better and it's closer to my house.  On a whim, I went to Home Depot this weekend to pick up some MDF.  I stopped by their hardwoods area to check the price on Oak.  Much to my surprise, they had all kinds of interesting woods; cherry, birch, walnut, mahogony, alder and a couple of others.  Maybe it's a regional thing, but it might be worth checking out Home Depot and see what kind of selection they have in your area. 

this is what i find at lowes.

The HD's near me only carry the standard oak, poplar and pine.  Maybe it is a Left Coast thing.

Yep

Same as Scott, My HD has a limited supply of Oak , Pine , Poplar..........must be regional !?!

Ill look

I would bet it is regional. When viviting in Virginia, they carried aeromatic(sp?) cedar.

None in my norteast region.

That's a plus

Indiana has the standard woods by me. the do cut to size so you don't have to get the 8 footer or 12 footer. I have been able to pick up some cut offs reasonable more so when not marked.

Lowes has pallet deals with lots of things ,wood,scratched,warped,dirty,etc.

have a local owner store and he carries all kinds of wood.Zebra,purple heart,walnut  oak -red or white  all hard woods no Pine or other sof wood best part is he is less than a mile from home. Picked up some Baltic Birch today 3 x 3 feet   1/8"    6.95

lowes ,home depot?

If I had the money to buy a store I would make sure it was stocked with all sorts of wood and some really nice ply for the home handyman / crafter, because if there is one thing that Australia lacks it is the ability to buy any of that without traveling for miles and miles,  or just not getting what you want without buying on line and taking pot luck.  I would love to hold of some BB ply without having to pay hardwood prices.  Man I'm soooooo jealous of you lovely people.

Marg

Here in St. Paul HD has oak, pine, and poplar. Maybe regional or a unique store manager.

I know HD veteran discounts are spotty here too. I carry a copy of my DD 214 but on my last visit to HD they wanted some special ID from the VA. Doesn't the VA have more important tasks than handing out picture ID's??? My two Lowe's are both quite a distance, relative to HD and Menards so I don't make the trip. I often purchase stock at a real lumberyard in Minneapolis, Youngbloods.

i have gotten vet discount from both stores. Maybe  because they are just across the street from each other. Can easily get from one to the other in less than 5 minutes. HD gave me 10% vet discount when I purchased 4 exterior doors one a sliding patio door. that did amount to nice savings. Lowes did not have as good of selection but at least I easily could compare before buying. I like Menard's but is farther away..

This is the very reason I started my website.  I was upset with the local HD/Lowes/three other 'small' stores in the area.

Now I'm a week away from taking delivery on another sawmill that can cut 21ft long and 23in wide, in increments of as little as 1/16th inch thickness!  Woohoo!!!!!

Scott (need me a sawdust fix) B

I visit HD every day on my way home from work.  They have a "culled lumber" cart of off cut pieces.  I have been doing most of my learning to use the scrollsaw on these off pieces.  Many times the pieces are just given to me free of charge.  The norm is 70% off the price of the normal piece.  I have some very nice pieces of cherry oak, 12" by 3/4" by 4 foot for $2.00.

Have not the skill yet to use better lumber, but I am glad I am not using pricey wood to learn on.

Ward

Zen Scroller:  The VA refused me a card because I have an adiquit income and insurance. I wanted a card to get the discount at Home depot but they told me that I did not qualify for a card  because my net worth was too high. ( I served in 1960- 64)  I did get a card from a private organization but Home depot refuses to honor it.

Zen Scroller:  The VA refused me a card because I have an adiquit income and insurance. I wanted a card to get the discount at Home depot but they told me that I did not qualify for a card  because my net worth was too high. ( I served in 1960- 64)  I did get a card from a private organization but Home depot refuses to honor it.

No s#$t!!! I am flabbergasted. Is that policy? What is their threshold?

I do not know what their threshold is, but I exceeded it.  I am a retired construction worker, not a professional, like a lawyer or doctor so it can't be very high.  I applied on line, and in person at our local VA office.  Declined at both.  I do not need the service, I just wanted the card.