puzzles and blades

Mabel H.

I am just getting started with the scroll saw, and am trying to make puzzles. I started with the blades I had which were to big. I ordered some puzzle blades and am breaking them pretty fast. I am using some plain 1/4 plywood to practice, and am cutting freehand.

Any suggestions, speed, fast or slow, wood best to use, better blades etc.

Mabel H you have to make the blade do the work don't force the wood through or they will snap try less tension and slow and if it's a puzzle for children use a No3 ultra reverse blade or even a no5 instead of the fine puzzle blade it make the pieces easier for them to put together. Do a test on a couple pieces first to see how they fit together then do the real thing after your happy. Roly

Mabel, I use the same tension on my puzzle blades, as I do on any other blade. It makes no difference to me what I'm cutting, I always use the same amount of tension on my blades. No matter if it's 1/16" thick, or, if it's 1.5" thick the tension never changes. I have never encountered anything that I would try to cut with less tension then I use now. If I did, I wouldn't have control of the blade. Maybe this is why I can't do anything with the spiral blades. 

Len

I agree with Len, high tension on the blade. Low tension will cause blade breakage. As has been mentioned, let the blade do the cutting, do not force the cut. Make sure you are not applying lateral pressure on the blade when making sharp turns.

Most folks use a high quality plywood like Baltic birch. I'm sure others will come on with other plywoods they use.

It's great that you are cutting freehand. Jig saw puzzles look more handmade when cut freehand.

Puzzle blades are typically a 3/0 skip tooth blade. If you still break them, try using a 2/0 skip tooth blade. They are a little bigger and may hold up a little better.

I am just getting started with the scroll saw, and am trying to make puzzles. I started with the blades I had which were to big. I ordered some puzzle blades and am breaking them pretty fast. I am using some plain 1/4 plywood to practice, and am cutting freehand.

Any suggestions, speed, fast or slow, wood best to use, better blades etc.

Lots of factors are  involved in breaking blades.Why Do Scroll Saw Blades Break? And how do I prevent it?

Edited by amazingkevin

Regardless of what blade you choose, it's tough to beat practice, practice, practice.  As others have said, let the blade do the work.  That's all well and good but when you're starting it's not always understood.  When I first started I broke a lot of blades and had lots of burns on thicker wood.  With practice you will learn the feel of your saw, burns will mostly go away if not completely go away and you will realize that you haven't broken a blade in a long time.  

I broke a blade the other day while cutting a puzzle and it gave me a scare for a couple seconds.  Realized that it hadn't happened in so long I forgot what it was like when it happens.  Today I compound cut some 13/4" hardwood and it came out with not a trace of burn.  I was happy.  Lots of tension, let the blade do the work.  It will come to you quickly.