Scroll Saw Pattern Holes - ????

LarryEA

In a camera, pixels make a digital picture.

So what is the name for the holes in a scroll saw pattern?

The holes make the picture.

Are they SHOLES (Scroll Holes?)

Just asking?

*********************************************************************************************************************************

************** Read further down, Dan and Scott give the answer.

Edited by LarryEA

Thank you Dan and Scott.  I thought there might be a name but never occured it was "FRET"

Frets.

Per the dictionary it is Fretwork:

noun
1.ornamental work consisting of interlacing parts, especially work in which the design is formed by perforation.
2.any pattern of dark and light, such as that of perforated fretwork.

I call them SOB's because they are the things that make all those nasty 'frizzies", I have to work to get rid of when I am finished cutting all of them our

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick I seldom have "frizzies" because I use the FD Ultra Reverse Tooth blades.  When I do I like to burn them off with a pin torch.

Ok.  Please tell me what is a pin torch and if it makes life easier (less sanding) where do I get one?  I realize I'm probably the only one here that doesn't know of a pin torch so please help me rid myself of this ignorance.  

Dick I seldom have "frizzies" because I use the FD Ultra Reverse Tooth blades.  When I do I like to burn them off with a pin torch.

EDIT:  Google is my friend.  Talk about overkill!  To each his own.  Fun with tools!

EDIT AGAIN:  Wait!  Google is still my friend.  I searched p-E-n instead of p-I-n and found it.  I want one!  The p-I-n involved big stuff like gas bottles of O2 and C2H2 shown on YouTube videos.  Cool stuff like leather sleeves, safety boots, shields and other things no fun to wear in the summer.  

Edited by Southern Scroller

With a hard wood I don't have very many fuzziness either but with BB ply I get some and also some breakouts when the piece has several hundred really close and small holes like with a fret clock or when I cut the Eiffel Tower. My go to blade For 1/8 to 1/4 inch is a double tooth/reversible. Usually pretty good with normal holes and frizzies but for thinker hard wood I often use scrollsaw rev. Skip tooth blade. I was amazed when I cut what I consider a pretty fragile piece and used an orbital sander on it with no breakage.

Dick

heppnerguy

Not sure I understand, how do you use it to remove the frizzies on the back exactly?

The FD ultra reverse blades have every third tooth reversed, two teeth cut on the down stroke and one on the up stroke. It leaves your work with almost no frizzies to get rid of ( sometimes with no sanding needed either)

You just touch the fizzles around the edges with the flame and they burn off leaving a clean smooth edge. I do the same thing with all of my fretwork.

thanks for clearing that up for me

The FD ultra reverse blades have every third tooth reversed, two teeth cut on the down stroke and one on the up stroke. It leaves your work with almost no frizzies to get rid of ( sometimes with no sanding needed either)

Thats good to know, thanks for the info

You can also use a stiff brush to remove the frizzies.  This tip was given to a grandfather by his young gtanddaughter.. i loved that part of the hint.. was not given to me, someone else posted it here about 8 months ago or so

Dick

heppnerguy

Yep, a toothbrush works well, but don't use the one you clean your teeth with as it doesn't taste nice afterwards (I know this as Rob Roy told me lol :roll: :roll: )

Yep, a toothbrush works well, but don't use the one you clean your teeth with as it doesn't taste nice afterwards (I know this as Rob Roy told me lol :roll: :roll: )

Well Keith, I cant use my toothbrush for the fuzzies, I left my toothbrush in the hospital. I'll need to buy a new one now, and being a Scot that upsets me a greatly. The hospital visit,(amongst other problems), was the reason for being A.W.O.L for a wee while. Although the b****red up left arm is still giving trouble. :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool: .

Rob Roy.

Actually, I too use a tooth brush, but it is a large stiff one use for cleaning false teeth. it works pretty well for me..

Dick