Colour explosion.

Paul hd

Hi All.

I bought a cheap table saw this week as I want to start having nice square edges to my boards, also it will help in putting a simple border around my scroll saw patterns. I also wanted to try out the rest of the Chestnut stains and so here are the results. 😄

After cutting the ply to the correct size I then adjusted the blade so it would cut a recess and ran the board over the saw. I then coloured in the grooves.

5d1a01648cb66db5e934f2cbbde5b83f.jpg

The pattern is from Steve Good and the original is in a oval shape. I went with a square shape so I could add my own border.

d5d29727b02422f67ee58e9dc42f4a05.jpg

Cut a backer board, then placed the pattern on top and then marked with a pencil. I then started adding the stain.

b05a3b3d94a8423b06646fbae48f5645.jpg

I used all the colours except white. 😋😀

da1b5c78fadf0c18d282007533f5dd37.jpg

This was a enjoyable project. The stains are great to work with and a cheap way to find out what colours you prefer. My problem is I like all of them. 😜😀ðŸ‘

a7a3b05a73080edad456e82d4f4a8c9a.jpg

All the best

Paul

Love it! Is the pattern available? Looking for a supplier of the sample pack in the U.S. But haven't found one yet.

Hi Lorenzo.

Here is a link to the Steve good patterns. If you type in the search box, Butterfly plaque http://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/

At the bottom of this link there are two chestnut dealers in the U.S. Hope that may help.

http://chestnutproducts.co.uk/otherstockists.php

Paul great decision.  I have been thinking of doing this very thing.  My major problem is that I do not have the room for the saw.  Love the fact that you now have the ability to do some interesting things.  Having a table saw and a good imagination you can do a whole lot of interesting things.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

DW 

Hi All.

I bought a cheap table saw this week as I want to start having nice square edges to my boards, also it will help in putting a simple border around my scroll saw patterns. I also wanted to try out the rest of the Chestnut stains and so here are the results.

After cutting the ply to the correct size I then adjusted the blade so it would cut a recess and ran the board over the saw. I then coloured in the grooves.

5d1a01648cb66db5e934f2cbbde5b83f.jpg

The pattern is from Steve Good and the original is in a oval shape. I went with a square shape so I could add my own border.

d5d29727b02422f67ee58e9dc42f4a05.jpg

Cut a backer board, then placed the pattern on top and then marked with a pencil. I then started adding the stain.

b05a3b3d94a8423b06646fbae48f5645.jpg

I used all the colours except white.

da1b5c78fadf0c18d282007533f5dd37.jpg

This was a enjoyable project. The stains are great to work with and a cheap way to find out what colours you prefer. My problem is I like all of them.

a7a3b05a73080edad456e82d4f4a8c9a.jpg

All the best

Paul

Yes great looking project but how did you stain the bottom of the grooves and not touch the sides?

Yes great looking project but how did you stain the bottom of the grooves and not touch the sides?

Hi Kevin.

Used a brush slightly narrower than the groove and a steady hand. Its actually easier than I thought it would be, as soon as the brush touches the bottom of the groove the stain just gets wicked up by the ply.

Are they water based?

The label says spirit stain so I assume it's spirit based.