Best Friends List

orangeman

I am going to do a workshop on scrolling for a local woodworkers club.

I thought I would start by stating the scroller's best friends and go on from there.

So far the 'best friends' list includes the following:

1. small engineer's square for getting the 90 degree angle which is critical for puzzles

2. packaging tape for blade lubrication.

3. paste wax for the table

4. band aids for those inevitable nicks on the fingers.

5. Magnifying light.

6. Good quality blades

7. Dust mask or central vac system with good pick-up.

8. Adjustable height chair with back support (drafting stool)

9. Subscription to "ScrollSaw Workshop and crafts"

10 3M sanding wheels (for use with drill, drill press, or lathe)

11 3M "77" adhesive spray for permanent bond or Elmer's spray adhesive for temporary bond.

12 Overview of wood types

Any other suggestions?

Edited by orangeman

Some good comments.

Re #77 3 M spray: I will only use that if I am intending for a permanent bond; otherwise I will use an Elmer's spray glue which is much cheaper.

Dust mask: Good comment! I don't use one because I have good dust pick-up above and below the table with a central dust collection system. I can see the larger particles being sucked up and therefore I know the smaller particles will follow due to transport theory. Good comment however for those who do not have a good collection system.

I am going to do a workshop on scrolling for a local woodworkers club.

I thought I would start by stating the scroller's best friends and go on from there.

So far the 'best friends' list includes the following:

1. small engineer's square for getting the 90 degree angle which is critical for puzzles

2. packaging tape for blade lubrication.

3. paste wax for the table

4. band aids for those enivatable nicks on the fingers.

5. Magnifying light.

6. Good quality blades

Any other suggestions?

Add"

7. 3M spray adhesive

8. good dust mask

9. good camera

10. a lock to keep the significant other out of the shop so that he / she will not get more ideas for you to make them for the upcoming holiday or event.

I'm adding the wood overview!  good suggestion.

Some folks like a foot switch; I do not because I use a swivel  drafting stoool and my feet are on the stool's foot rest which does not lend itself to a foot switch. Plus the saw switch is right up front and on top which is no problem.

Do what ever it takes to modify your chair to accommodate a foot switch,Make a shelf where tour foot will be ,simple enough.I guarantee you after you try  a foot switch  a couple of hours you'll wonder how you   scrolled with out it .I too laughed at the idea but after i tried it I'm sold.Any steps saved scrolling makes a happier scroller. ;)

I'm adding the wood overview!  good suggestion.

Some folks like a foot switch; I do not because I use a swivel  drafting stoool and my feet are on the stool's foot rest which does not lend itself to a foot switch. Plus the saw switch is right up front and on top which is no problem.

Bein q full-time wheelchair user with limited leg motion and no foot motion, I can't use a foot switch.  Switch on front of scrollsaw works okay for me.

Add"

7. 3M spray adhesive

8. good dust mask

9. good camera

10. a lock to keep the significant other out of the shop so that he / she will not get more ideas for you to make them for the upcoming holiday or event.

A good light to illuminate the work on the scroll saw table.  Magnifier may or may not be necessary but the light is essential.