wobbly blade

dmangpt

Hi my name is Dennis fairly new to scrolling, however have gotten pretty good. My question for you guys is how do you get your blade to stop wobbling from side to side? I have a Porter Cable saw. It is frustrating especially when I am cutting detailed patterns. I have attached some pics of stuff I've done. Please Help! I have been scrolling less than a year and don't know what I am doing you know trial and error

post-28416-0-08081600-1446863553_thumb.jpg

post-28416-0-88368200-1446863578_thumb.jpg

post-28416-0-50412300-1446863618_thumb.jpg

Those look really nice. I don't know anything about the Porter Cable saw but first thing that comes to mind is there is not enough tension on the blade. When you insert the blade and apply the tension does the blade produce a really high ping when plucked? If it produces a low noise or "thud" type, you have to get the blade much tighter. If it is very tight, then the next thing would be bearings if it is an older saw....so the arms are simply moving back and forth. Another is forcing the work into the blade, especially when turning, instead of letting the saw cut at it's own speed. But great work!

Hi Dennis,

I am unfamiliar with your saw, personally but it is easy to see you are doing a fine job with your scrolling. Exactly is happening when you have what you are calling blade wobbling? Not really understanding what you are saying let give you a couple of things to explore, even though this is coming from the blind side. One thing that could be causing this problem is not enough tension on your blade. Sometimes as one is sawing the tension can lessen due to the blade slipping in the hold down screws. If you are having this problem you might want to lightly sand your blades before you install them . This will remove the oil on them that is there so they will not rust. This will also make the blade surface rough to help it hold better

Another possibility can be that you are using you're blades too long. Some people try to make their blades last as long as possible and this can cause them to wonder when sawing.

My third guess might be that you are using too small of a blade. When doing that, the blade can not stay on track because it does not have the ability or strength to keep up with the sawing demands put on it. If this is the case try a larger blade instead. If you find that a larger blade Is too aggressive, you might try a double tooth blade because they follow well, can give you better control as then are quite a bit less aggressive while having more rigidity. I may be way off on your problem but I took a stab at it anyway. If it does not help you it might give someone else a clue on a problem they are having.

Dick

heppnerguy

My question for you guys is how do you get your blade to stop wobbling from side to side? I have a Porter Cable saw. It is frustrating especially when I am cutting detailed patterns.

Dennis, Would you try an internet search? Maybe the owners manual has adjustment directions.

You say  WOBBLE and your saw is kinda like a Weeble or maybe a Timex... 

It wobbles like a Weeble and keeps on ticking like Timex.

Can't keep a good Sawyer from cuttin'.

If noone is able to help you, try the Internet searches.  Like ... Porter Cable Scroll Saw problem fixes.

Be sure to look for your model    #                                    Porter Cable Scroll Saw wobble

Welcome Dennis.  This is a great site.

I had the same problem with my DW788 but found a cure.

Place a blade in the saw and tighten.  Using a steel ruler, place it on edge and place the end against the side of the blade with it in its lowest position.  Raise the blade to its highest position and see if the ruler is still as close to the blade as before.

If not you will need to adjust the set screws to align the blade with the end of the ruler.  This will take several tries, but well worth it when adjusted properly.  Makes a large difference when cutting fine details.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Dennis, I'm sorry, but, I don't know anything about your brand of saw. So, I can't recommend any solutions. Hopefully, someone familiar with your brand of saw, will chime in with a solution. Welcome to the Village, your work looks great. It's hard to believe that your having issues with your saw, when you can end up with results like this.

Len 

Dennis the Porter Cable is fairly easy to "tune".  Put a blade in tension it.  Move the blade up and down observing how much side to side motion is there.  Since most saws use a friction pinch between a set screw and the thumb screw, this is what needs to be adjusted.  By moving the set screw in the blade holder slightly either in or out you can generally get the blade to become more centered and therefore eliminate the side to side you say you are experiencing.  

DW

Dennis

the Porter Cable blade holders are on a drift pin and they rotate forward and back.  If the blade is tightened and it is not "in-line" with the slot in the blade holder the blade will wobble.  Really hard to describe.  Install the blade, set the tension, and look at the bottom one (that is the one I had the most trouble with when I use the P-C saw) and the top too.  From the side, the line of the blade and the line of the holder needs to be parallel.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the Village. I have nothing to add regarding the blade wobble that hasn't already been said. What I will say is that If you're new to scrolling, I can't wait to see what your work looks like in a year or two. The projects you shared with us look fantastic. Did you cut those crosses out of Poplar? It was a perfect choice. Beautiful work, and I do hope you get the wobble issue sorted out.

Barry

Welcome Dennis.  This is a great site.

I had the same problem with my DW788 but found a cure.

Place a blade in the saw and tighten.  Using a steel ruler, place it on edge and place the end against the side of the blade with it in its lowest position.  Raise the blade to its highest position and see if the ruler is still as close to the blade as before.

If not you will need to adjust the set screws to align the blade with the end of the ruler.  This will take several tries, but well worth it when adjusted properly.  Makes a large difference when cutting fine details.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the set screw opposite the blade tightening thumb screw is what needs to be adjusted. Decide if the top or bottom end of the blade needs adjusting and then tighten or loosen the set screw with the thumb screw loose while changing the position of the set screw. You want the upper and lower ends of the blade adjusted so that the blade moves straight up and down. You also want it as close as possible to the center of the table hole. Just loosen the blade tension and the blade clamping thumb screw, then turn the set screw. A 1/4 turn is all you should change it before clamping and re-tensioning the blade to check your result. If it needs to go further or less, repeat the process, until the blade is centered in the table hole and tracks straight up and down while under tension.

Charley 

I have a couple of Porter Cables at school, Check the alignment of the blade with the set screws like JohnR48 explained. 

When we use the saws a lot at school I end up "fixing" this every couple of days. Putting some lock-tite or similar on the threads would help to keep everything tight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'm with John. I had a little wobble but fixed it. You have to make sure your blade is straight. I have a small 3/4 piece of wood with a straight line on it and I line it up with the back of the blade to see if the blade is straight with the line on the wood. Next, make sure the blade is tight enough and not slipping once you start sawing. Slow down cutting especially around corners.Good luck Dennis. I love the last cross you did. I might do that one.