Magnifying light

Woodchuck

I would suggest that no matter what you try out first.

I have a mag light and I love the extra light but can't use the magnifier portion.  I see the line twice.  It is something to do with the astigmatism in one eye.

I have tried a number of different magnifiers and have not found one to work.  I would really love to have something to magnify the lines when doing Intarsia.

I have an appointment with my eye doctor next month and am going to see if she get me subscription magnifiers.

Don

I had a really nice magnifier with a fluorescent light. It was an older one and had a weight that kept it where ever you put it. I found for me, that I just did not like the magnifier. It was nice and clear but i did not like having it between me an my work, so I gave it back to my daughter, saying if I ever do decide I need it, perhaps I will ask if you still have it. Who knows

Dick

heppnerguy

I have two actually.  First I bought the one from Harbor Freight.  It is florescent, the one Steve Scrolling has.  It is a good one for the price.  I ended up removing the cover that was suspose to cover the magnifier lense when not in use.  It kept getting in my way.   I started experiencing headaches after using it a while.  I decided it was the florescent light.  They flicker all the time even though the human eye does not detect it.  I have read that some people are sensitive to the flicker.  So I bought a new one with LED light.  It was over twice the cost but I like it much better.  It has a glass lense also that will  not as easily scratch.  The LED light is brighter than the florscent also.  No more, well not as many headaches.  Not sure they had anything to do with the light, but I do like the LED somewhat better. 

When you shop, be aware of the magnification also.  The Harbor Freight one was 1.5X or 1.75x magnification.  The LED one is around 2.5x magnification.   It is almost too much for me.  Took me a while to get use to.  I like it now, but I would not go more that it is. 

The LED one I ordered online from Columbia Indrustries.  I have purchased other item from them, they have a hugh selection of all different kinds of thing.  Great service.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.  Very glad you are here.

Edited by Scrappile

Sure hope you can get over the eye problem first of all. I just purchased a cheap table clamp type magnifier & use a florescent bulb in it. I am on the second one now, so it works for me. I do wear glasses too. My problem is bending over the work piece for any length of time. It gets me in the back. I usually work an hour or so & then go sit on my vibrator chair. I'm spoiled that way, HA.   I think you just have to get a good idea of the mag. lites & find what you like for yourself.  Good Luck.