Daamn Glue

savethebeer

Here is my last rant.

This was done with my old saw so I had changed nothing. What happened was I discovered [after 3 years of scrolling ] repositioning spray. Up to now I have used a spray glue on my patterns that was a heavier spray than you lot recomend. The heavier spray worked for me for 3 years, pattern stuck solid to the masking tape after about 5 minutes. I had always looked at repositional spray over the years and thought that I was not going to waste money when the glue I normally used was half the price. Last week I found repositional spray that was half the normal price so I bought it.

Then I tried the difficult pattern attached and the paper pattern just lifted off the wood. I then taped the pattern to the wood with cellotape but it still lifted badly.

I managed to complete the pattern by being careful but............................... I have never experienced lifting of patterns as bad as this and I know it would not have happened with my normal glue.

post-17339-0-45423200-1447368819_thumb.jpg

post-17339-0-48824400-1447368843_thumb.jpg

I think if you use the glue and put the pattern on the masking tape or equivalent and It stays put to cut and you can get the masking tape off with the pattern without residue then you have your answer use the glue. Glue patterns on the wood ends in more work with residue. I do as the others above and usually have little or no problem but other times it is huge problems. Just have to stop and tape with clear tape and go on. Repositionable glue does come in varying stickiness and some are like real weak. But for less frustration continue with you glue. With the new glue use on non fret work patterns.  

Way , way too much glue.

i use spray glue for my patterns.

i spray a maximum and I mean maximum of 1 second for the whole sheet.

I then wil turn the sheet glus side up and feel it.  if its tacky, its too much and will cause trouble.  i wait until its barely tachy and then put in on the wood.

you have to think that you are only needing it to sticj for one pass so once the blade has cut past it, oh well, it can fall off all day long.

less is always more.  way less.

Way , way too much glue.

i use spray glue for my patterns.

i spray a maximum and I mean maximum of 1 second for the whole sheet.

I then wil turn the sheet glus side up and feel it.  if its tacky, its too much and will cause trouble.  i wait until its barely tachy and then put in on the wood.

you have to think that you are only needing it to sticj for one pass so once the blade has cut past it, oh well, it can fall off all day long.

less is always more.  way less.

I never tried that way! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

STB, I use Elmers multi purpose mounting spray, it is a repositionable glue. I have never had any problems with it, unless it was user error. Sometimes I'm a little over generous with the spray button, and the pattern sticks to well. For those instances, I use mineral spirits to soak the paper and excess glue to wipe it off. In your picture, it looks as if you haven't used enough glue. If your not familiar with the spray glue that can happen, but, once you get used to using it, your problem will be solved. There is quite a difference in spray glue types, some of it is to be used to permanently attach one item to another. Repositionable spray, is used so that you can remove one item from another with not much diffculty. If you use the repositionable type, it can take a bit of getting used to how much is enough. It's a trial and error type of thing. Once you get used to using it, you'll wonder how you ever survived without it.

Len

Just have to reply....Have tried many methods.  All boiled down to using the 3m-77 spray glue.  Normal spray.  Once over. 

Apply to Bare wood.  No tape etc. Holds excellent till that final cut.  Then spray a bit of Mineral Spirits  Might have to wait

for a minute and the pattern lifts off in one piece.  Clean wood with a bit more spitits on a rag and let dry for a hour.  Ready to go.

And this is only my 2 cents worth.          Danny  :+}

Hi all,

I am the newest guy here. Please be patient with my questions :)

So, is it better to spray the glue directly onto the wood or use the tape method. The tape method sounds like costly. how wide of a blue tape do you use?

Thank you

sam

Probably one of the most discussed topics on this forum.  To me it all boils down to personal preference.  Search "glue" or "tape" here and there should be hundreds of posts.  Personally I do it both ways, and it depends on what I am cutting.  Very fragile pictures I use painters tape because I feel it helps hold things together.  Less fragile I do not use the tape.  I never use the clear tape over the pattern anymore, that did not work for me.

Hi all,

So, is it better to spray the glue directly onto the wood or use the tape method. The tape method sounds like costly. how wide of a blue tape do you use?

Thank you

sam

Just as Paul said. Many methods.... I use 'Glad Press N Seal' from the grocery store, not blue tape.

So you see, there are many ways... do that search........

Hi all,

Thank you

sam

It's best to asks a question in a new post so as not to hijack the original post.

Thank you

sam

It's best to asks a question in a new post so as not to hijack the original post.

Golly Dan, He's still talking about glue. Probably better you sent him a pm.

Savethe brew didn't complain.... correction.... this post started as a complaint, 

hijacked into a discussion of spray glue intersected with blue painters tape and me!!!~ worst of all

talking about Forest Gump. 

I'm more quilty of a 

Golly Dan, He's still talking about glue. Probably better you sent him a pm.

Savethe brew didn't complain.... correction.... this post started as a complaint, 

hijacked into a discussion of spray glue intersected with blue painters tape and me!!!~ worst of all

talking about Forest Gump. 

I'm more quilty of a

Maybe I should rephrase, to get more responses to your question, it's best to start a new post.

Is that ok with you Larry?