First Inside Cut

Vector01

Looks good! When you say Olson UR blades, do you mean reverse tooth?

The blade drifting is usually caused by insufficient tension. Make sure your blade gives a high ping when you pluck it like a guitar string.

Also, when cutting 1/8", it's best to stack a scrap piece of wood to your blank for better control.

I'm "kinda different." As a kid, I fell on my head a lot. :)  :)  Use 1/8" BB much more than 1/4".  Your piece doesn't look so thick & clunky.  Sandwich it between 2 sacrifice pieces of 1/4" luan.  This prevents chipping on both top & bottom and no blue tape to put stress on the tiny parts when removed.  Here is my latest example:

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/16730-sleigh/?hl=sleigh

jerry

I may well be in the minority but I find the UR blades much harder to control than the regular Reverse blades, especially in thin stock. I just can't figure out where the UR is better. I don't use them anymore. I'm certainly open to correction here. You will also have better luck in thin wood (I cut it all the time) by slowing the speed way down.

Well, ordered some ply and blades from Sloane's. Found a easy eagle pattern and went for it. Used 1/8" Baltic birch ply and Olson UR 2 blade. Talk about drifting cuts dam! Gonna take a few to get the old feel back. Not ready for any fine detail cuts yet. Didn't come out too bad.

I have found that using a little larger blade it will track better. I agree with Roly on that. Also I have found that using a double tooth blade helps too because it is also way less aggressive and much easier to control. Also if you are getting into fret work, forgery the painters tape and put the pattern directly on the wood with spray glue and when you are finished cutting all you need to do is cover the pattern with some mineral spirits or paint thinner and wait about 15 seconds and the pattern will just fall off. That is what I do and it works great for me. I just finished cutting 2 pieces of fret work on 1/8 inch BB ply and I used no added wood and I had no problem with either of them. Take your time and let the blade do the cutting, don't hesitate to change the blade if The going does not go easily and you find you are having to push a little more than you did at the beginning. Hope this tip helps you

Dick

heppnerguy

I use a lot of 1/8" BB and rather than use a backer, I stack cut 3 or 4 which helps with the control.  I do use the blue tape, got some purple which doesn't stick as well but comes off easier.  Had a friend ask for an angel cutout about 3" tall that she could paint and add a grandchild's name.  Took some different patterns to show her and wound up with an order from her for 23 and another 25 for another lady.  Took one I had cut and sanded to show her to make sure it would work and wound up with another order for 12+ from another lady.  I have sworn to stop showing things as it creates more work that I am not looking for.

Like the eagle looks great.  Not sure I realized that Olson make a UR blade thought that was the Flying Dutchman's blades.  Using a 2 on 1/8 ply should not be a issue, stack cut it to help prevent drift and go slow if needed.  I use a lot of 1/8 ply both Birch and oak and have been successful cutting it.  To me going to a bigger blade would cause more issues with cutting to fast and more tear out on the back.  Just some ideas on my part.

jim

penquin