Sanding blade ends

Vector01

It's cheaper to sand the blades and run a piece of business card squeezed in between the clamps soaked with thinner to get the oil off.I use #150 grit also.

While sanding some wood, I remembered a tip from a while back. Had to change a blade so I scuffed up both ends of the blade with some 150 grit sandpaper. Made it a lot easier to set the blade in the holders without slipping when tightening the thumbscrews on my porter cable ss.

on my DeWalt 778 I have not had any blades slipping every couple of months I remove the thumb screws and apply Anti Siege to the threads. It's not very expensive a lifetimes supply ost about $5 and it works.It holds the Blade and it is easy to unscrew  I used it for years inthe machine shop to hold cutting inserts in place and for easy removal of inserts.

I started my scrolling experience back in the late 60's and have used everything from an antique Delta to several other Deltas as well as an RBI and now have a DeWalt.  I have never had the problem of blade slippage on any of the machines nor needed to sand the blades.  Have used blades from the hardware store to Olsens and FDs without a problem.

I certainly wouldn't sand the whole length of the blade but sanding the ends and the end of the thumb screw is routine for me. Before I install a new blade I always sand the ends of the blade, and once or twice a week I'll sand the end of the thumb screw.

Maybe it has to do with how much tension you apply. I always apply as much tension as I can get, on my DeWalt its 5.5.