More puzzles finished and drying.

CMHN

Not really sure where to put these,  there not finished enough to put in the bragging room they are almost good for the works in progress page, but not really a tutorial.  So I will post them here.   I have 15 puzzles cut out, sanded, and finished with boiled linseed oil.  Since it is cold outside I moved them inside to dry, I will let them sit for a few days before packaging.   These should fill my table up pretty well at the show I have in a few weeks.  Well off to make more saw dust.  :)

2015-11-16%2018.09.11.jpg2015-11-16%2018.09.24.jpg

Not really sure where to put these,  there not finished enough to put in the bragging room they are almost good for the works in progress page, but not really a tutorial.  So I will post them here.   I have 15 puzzles cut out, sanded, and finished with boiled linseed oil.  Since it is cold outside I moved them inside to dry, I will let them sit for a few days before packaging.   These should fill my table up pretty well at the show I have in a few weeks.  Well off to make more saw dust.  :)

2015-11-16%2018.09.11.jpg2015-11-16%2018.09.24.jpg

Nice Job! I have many many gallons of blo and would like to try on plywood .Did you spray ,brush or dip in blo.I was told i'll be using a lot of blo with plywood as it's very porous and will suck it up quick?Do you do both sides at once with blo?This is where work in progress saves a lot of questions,lol And what are these puzzles?Animal,vegetable or mineral?

Nice Job! I have many many gallons of blo and would like to try on plywood .Did you spray ,brush or dip in blo.I was told i'll be using a lot of blo with plywood as it's very porous and will suck it up quick?Do you do both sides at once with blo?This is where work in progress saves a lot of questions,lol And what are these puzzles?Animal,vegetable or mineral?

I will try to document my process the next batch.    

• Sand pieces
  • Blow off excess saw dust
  • Prep drying tray with a sheet of paper towel
  • Dip pieces in BLO
  • Shake excess off pieces
  • Lay pieces on paper towel
  • Dab excess oil off top of pieces
  • Let set over night
  • Transfer pieces to different drying tray without paper towel,  flipping the pieces over.
  • Let dry another day or until dry.

It seams like a lot of steps but its really not that bad.   Its a lot of waiting to dry really.

On a safety note, make sure you store your oily rags properly, don't just throw them in the trash.   BLO can spontaneously combust.  I use paper towels and take the used towels out to my burn barrel, You can lay them out flat to dry and once completely dry you can put them in the trash.