On the prowl

GrampaJim

A couple of years ago, when I first started scrolling, I wanted to learn everything I could. One day in a used book store, I found a DVD “Mastering the Art of Scroll Sawing†by Jeff Zaffino. Bought it thinking it was about general scroll sawing. It turned out to be about one project. Good stuff but when I tried to watch it, I found out it was about spiral blades. Threw the DVD in a draw and kind of forgot about it. My grandson found it this summer and asked if I would ever try the pattern on the cover – can't say no to him. By this time I had used spirals a few times and thought they had there place. Told the kid I would do it. Got the pattern and wood set and then I really looked at the pattern. Said to myself are you crazy? So after 2 months here it is. Stack cut 2pcs of 1/8 oak ply. Used mostly FD 3/0 spirals.

I will probably keep one for myself and gift the other but would be interested is how much you all would charge.

Thanks for looking (and I don't think you will ever see another one this hard from me again).

post-23508-0-46765000-1448231834_thumb.jpg

post-23508-0-25152700-1448231850_thumb.jpg

Fifty cents per hole would be a cheap.  $1,200 would be a price on one.

You stacked two, so ... $600.... no,  $750.00 ........

Just my opinion on a beautiful Leopard you cut.  

I like cutting simple ones but when I do a detailed one, it is so much more gratifying.

when I finish it. 

These are the scroll works that shows the talent and patience of a true scroll sawyer.

Great work, Jim,

I'm glad the grand-son motivated you! LOL
Pricing is really tricky because every area has it's own idea about fair pricing

and what someone is willing to spend.

If you knew about how long you took to complete the project you could

multiply the time by how much you want to be paid per hour and then add

the blades, wood, paint/stain, and all other materials and add ons like

electricity. Then, as Larry pointed out, you could divide that in half since you stack cut.

Still comes out to a lot of money so, it just depends what people are willing to spend

in your area for a remarkable piece of hand scrolled ART!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Good thing you bought the CD.You took it to heart and now are a MASTER, How about them apple's! There's always something good in something that's bad.You killed two birds with one stone here,You mastered spirals and you mastered highly detailed fret work. Hang this proudly as you can do all things now.It's water over the dam,next!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks for all the kind comments!  Much appreciated, especially from the group here. 

Once you get some practice with spirals, the rest is just time and effort.  Most of this pattern is kind of forgiving and the oop's I made (and they are there) are almost impossible to find - even if you know where to look. 

What I am saying is don't be afraid to try spirals or the "harder" patterns.  

Jim